Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardigans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Cardigans?

I've got to get something off my chest that's been bothering me for a long time. I don't understand the infatuation with cardigans. Nearly every deal Dappered showcases has some type of cardigan. I like Dappered. I look forward to the daily email. Sometimes, I'll even take a peek at the site in the afternoon to get a preview of what tomorrow's email will be (rebellious, I know). Over the last 2 years, my wife has noticed a big jump in my style game, thanks in large part to Dappered. So, I owe a huge 'thank you' to you guys. But the burning question I have is WTF is the deal with cardigans!???

I never see anyone wearing them....anywhere.....ever....except in magazines. I've got a few friends who are VERY stylish. They're entire levels ahead of me in terms of men's fashion, and when I've asked them about cardigans, they laugh and say something like "those are for old people" or "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one" or "what sites are YOU looking at?".

Seriously, what's the deal with cardigans?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2050 Post(s)
    So don't buy them?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I have a few, and wear them occasionally, but not all that often. A couple years back I picked up a wool shirt-jac that serves the same function - don't have to pull it on over your head, even has snaps instead of buttons so it's easier to open and close - and since then my cardigans get very little wear. For casual settings the shirt-jac, IMO is a less frumpy way to get the same function. Cardigans do look better under a sport coat - the shirt-jac, untucked, does not work under a sport coat, at all.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfrank View Post
    and when I've asked them about cardigans, they laugh and say something like "those are for old people" or "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one" or "what sites are YOU looking at?".
    If those are the responses you got it seems like you're talking to 'fashionable' people-- I'm not surprised they aren't feeling cardis, I don't think they're 'in' right now, are they? This site seems to lean a bit more classic, so perhaps that explains it. It's also winter, so rather than post 6 of the same style sweaters...

All that aside, I don't see the big deal with cardigans. If they're not your thing that's fine, but I don't understand viewing them in the same category as top hat and cane.

I recently wore this to an event as a sport coat substitute and got a number of compliments. I don't consider myself particularly well dressed but it seemed to work fine. I rotate a number of sweaters through winter and the cardigan offers a slight change up to the usual crew neck, etc.

Last edited by t3ch; March 26th, 2018 at 12:24 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Seriously, what's the deal with cardigans?
    And what's the deal with airplane food?

I mean really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    So don't buy them?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Lol, I don't! But as I'm trying to up my fashion game, it's one of the recommendations that I'm perplexed by.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    Lol, I don't! But as I'm trying to up my fashion game, it's one of the recommendations that I'm perplexed by.
    A thinner cardigan worn under a sportcoat serves a similar purpose to a waistcoat. On its own it's also a more casual alternative to wearing a blazer or sportcoat. Chunky shawl collar cardigans are also warm, comfortable, and look great with casual outfits. http://dieworkwear.com/post/13341307...twear-for-home

If it's not your style then it's not your style, but chances are your style is still evolving, so even though you don't like cardigans right now who knows in a few years time?

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1377 Post(s)
    Then whatever you do DON'T go to this thread. You've been warned: https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...light=cardigan

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    (Insert Seinfeld "What's the deal with..." Image)

Cardigans definitely aren't for everyone. I enjoy them, but most people do not. They are seen as a versatile option to standard crew or v neck sweaters, and seem to go on sale much more often than standard sweaters which is why I think they get so much action on here.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    I wear cardigans at the ripe old age of 37. I've worn them for a while though. Much like other articles of clothing, there are different styles of cardigan. So saying that all cardigans are dumb or whatever is like saying all sportcoats are dumb. Totally your right to not wear them or like them, but it's nothing I'd get upset over either.