Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardigans?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Cardigans are ďclassic trendyĒ. Theyíve been around forever and are back in style in certain circles. Wear them if you like. Donít if you donít. They definitely look dressier than, say, zip sweaters and are a little more convenient than pullovers.

Personally I donít own any normal button cardigans. They just arenít my thing, though I donít hate them. I do like the look of chunky shawl collar cardigans but donít find them comfortable at all so the couple I have donít get worn anymore.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    I never had one before this site and I still won't wear a shawl cardigan despite some members being able to pull it off very nicely.

I think the key is how you wear it and it does need confidence. In my office, some rooms go from fridges to hot. So having a light weight cardigan gives me that extra layer when needed and am able to pull it off if I do. I wear mine under a sportcoat 80% of the time. Sometimes just by itself with a tie on casual friday. I do get comments on them quite frequently but I like the look and it's very functional for my business environment.

I got my first one, a BB gray one, because I had a ton of gift cards so it was essentially 30 bucks. I'd recommend if you want to try them checking out JCrew Factory. But like any sort of outfit you need to have confidence in it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    1. People don't wear cardigans because other people don't (read: people wear trendy stuff)
    2. Don't knock it till you try it. TRY is the keyword. Today I wear everything I was not a fan of five years ago. Trying it on is believing.
    3. You need to ignore "those are for old people" argument (well, unless people's opinion matters a lot to you). A cardigan provides warmth and style you don't need to be a senior to enjoy the benefits.

I wear a thin Uniqlo cardigan under my sport coat when it's cool enough.
    I wear a shawl collared cardigan as my outermost layer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I think they are much more versatile when pulled off right...with pulled off right being the part not easy for everybody haha

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    There is a difference between thick shawl collar cardigan that you can wear casually over a shirt or t-shirt, with jeans, and a thin cardigan that you wear with tailored clothing. I am not sure huge fan in general

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Cardigans are “classic trendy”. They’ve been around forever and are back in style in certain circles. Wear them if you like. Don’t if you don’t. They definitely look dressier than, say, zip sweaters and are a little more convenient than pullovers.

Personally I don’t own any normal button cardigans. They just aren’t my thing, though I don’t hate them. I do like the look of chunky shawl collar cardigans but don’t find them comfortable at all so the couple I have don’t get worn anymore.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I think thin cardigans are a tough look to pull off--they can sometimes look effeminate, sometimes a little too Mr. Rogers-esque. I am a huge fan, however, of chunky shawl collar cardigans, for the following reasons:

1) Functionally, they are an easier layering piece than a pullover sweater. You can take it off without practically undressing, as is the case with a pullover.
    2) They are definitely dresser than a zip sweater, and can take the place of a lightweight jacket in the right weather (think spring/fall).
    3) Chunky cardigans are chock full of texture, and texture is a subtle, but super valuable way to add depth to an outfit.
    4) Some might disagree, but I think that shawl collar cardigans can be an interesting replacement for a casual blazer. Both have a form of lapel, can accentuate your physique in a similar manner, but a shawl collar cardigan doesn't *quite* have the same level of formality as a blazer (which can be a little too dressy at times, even with a very casual blazer). It strikes a good balance between casual and dressy.
    5) Admittedly, they are a fad right now for a number of reasons, including the fact that Daniel Craig often sports them in the Bond movies (see: http://www.bondsuits.com/the-shawl-c...tum-of-solace/). Maybe they'll fall out of style in a few years.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    During the cooler months, I wear one at least once a week, usually a well fitted shawl collar. In my casual work place, a sport coat would look out of place 90 percent of the time, but a shawl collar is basically a dressed up hoodie. Love them.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    I know this is a reference to current fashion trends, so bear with me...

I think cardigans have become mainstream popular again since Drake started making appearances in cardigans. I also think Drake has singlehandedly brought back the turtleneck sweater into mainstream fashion.

Cardigans have long been a thing for menswear style and northeastern US men's style in particular. But, as fashionable items to keep warm, the hoodie and lined flannel were more popular than cardigans in recent times. Now, I see people wearing cardigans regularly as if they are some sort of new discovery. I live in California, though, so it isn't exactly cardigan central around here to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Then whatever you do DON'T go to this thread. You've been warned: https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...light=cardigan
    This entire thread made my day . I was comforted by the number of people who said they get ribbed by people when they wear them and baffled by the number who say they get compliments. Even the folks who showed pictures of cardigans done well, all I could think of was how ridiculous they look. To each his own I guess. If anything, it seems it's a somewhat polarizing item. You either like them or you don't. There aren't many people who are in the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    I think they are much more versatile when pulled off right...with pulled off right being the part not easy for everybody haha
    Very true.