Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's your opinion on this jacket with exterior suspenders?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Overly harsh? I toned down my opinion by several notches because I wanted to be polite.
    First of all I never pointed any fingers directly, you weren't the only one posting. Second yeah I do think you're being a bit harsh. It's one thing to give honest feedback to someone who's explicitly asking for it, but he posted pictures of himself to give examples of what his personal taste / style is, not to get feedback on his outfits (which is what people are commenting on). He's literally said from the start that he has a more over the top style, and asks for perspectives on the jacket both in a general sense and from the perspective of that over the top style. It'd be one thing to say that you have a traditional style and then post an over the top outfit, but when he's literally said he has an over the top style and then posts an over the top outfit, I'm not seeing the potential trolling.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Anyway, the J. Peterman jacket seems okay to me. The suspenders are apparently removable.

Austin, I hope you can forgive the hostility and perhaps add some flavor to WIWT. You clearly have access to some interesting pieces.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    ... It's one thing to give honest feedback to someone who's explicitly asking for it, but he posted pictures of himself to give examples of what his personal taste / style is, not to get feedback on his outfits (which is what people are commenting on)...
    Bingo!

And the tone of much of that feedback has been so condescending. The "oh this jacket is awful and we all hate it so in that case it's right up your alley" comment in particular was like straight out of Mean Girls. It's the kind of thing that keeps me from posting, and from taking too many of the takes seriously. Frankly, it's what makes the entire men's style community boring as hell. After about a year of learning the basics, there's only so many times you can read people pat themselves on the back for wearing a tie and knowing what size they wear and how to hem their pants. I realize I'm being slightly hostile now, too, but, for what it's worth, reflexively hating on anything different or daring or ::gasp:: bordering on the dandy has become my own style pet peeve.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Austin, I hope you can forgive the hostility and perhaps add some flavor to WIWT. You clearly have access to some interesting pieces.
    Seconded.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    Ha..ha.. communication is hard; misunderstanding is a fact of life. Anyways, I haven't been reported so I guess I did okay.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    To my surprise, my wife just told me that she thinks the way you dress is "cool". But because I'm probably 25 or 30 years older than you, I couldn't dress that same way.

Party on!