Thread: Trousers - Side adjusters?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Trousers - Side adjusters?

I'm thinking about buying these new fresco trousers from Spier & Mackay: https://www.spierandmackay.com/vbc-m...y-trouser.html

I love everything about them but I'm a little on the fence as to how appropriate side adjusters are on separate trousers that I will wear with various sportcoats. Thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    The side straps are perfect for the material on those trousers. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are concerned that wearing a heavier-weight sports jacket would look odd with the straps, I personally think the contrast would be in the trouser fabric as opposed to at the waist. That is, belt loops wouldn't fix that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    246 Post(s)
    Why does the manner in which you hold your pants up matter whether or not they are appropriate with a sports jacket? I could see asking if it was a drawstring or a Gurkha waist but side adjusters?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quoted
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    Why does the manner in which you hold your pants up matter whether or not they are appropriate with a sports jacket? I could see asking if it was a drawstring or a Gurkha waist but side adjusters?
    I think he is part of "Big Belt" who advocate the only way to keep trousers up is a belt. But seriously, I think it could feel like it is a little more formal without a belt but once you get used to it you will be fine.

I am lusting after these pants but my new job is super casual and people already stare at me wearing chinos...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    I'll give my 2 cents. I have one suit that has trousers with no belt loops. With the jacket on it's looks pretty good. However, whenever I go jacketless I feel a bit strange. I thought I'd be 100% onboard with the look, but when thinking about those S&M fresco trousers I gave it a hard think and wondered if I would like the look if I wasn't wearing a jacket.

Again, with a jacket on it's kind of irrelevant, IMHO.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Quoted
    954 Post(s)
    I have zero experience with side adjusters. All I can add is that back when I used to frequent The Style Blogger, Dan advocated side adjusters as a way of having our suit/pants stand out a little from the crowd. I realize Dan's style and opinions might not be to everyone's taste, but he felt quite comfortable wearing them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    I'm looking at these pants too in the medium gray. I work from home. You can imagine the looks I get from my wife. Kidding - I dress up when I travel to meet clients. I think the side tabs are a great look.
    “Good luck. We're all counting on you.”
    ― Dr. Rumack