Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuffs?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Cuffs?

Gentlemen,

I recently picked up a pair of Epaulet trousers in what they call Airforce blue. They are wool - great spring/summer pant. Slim leg. Thinking about hemming them with a cuff. I'm thinking 2" is the way to go. I rolled the leg and 1 1/2" just doesn't seem to cut it.

Anyone have a strong opinion on this?

Sam
    instagram.com/cutandbasted
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I always do 1.75 inch cuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    The taller and skinnier the man, the bigger the cuff you can get away with. Anyone over a 38W should consider forgoing a cuff altogether.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    I'm 6'2", wear a size 32 trousers and usually go for a cuff somewhere in the 1.75" - 2" range myself.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Ok. All good replies. I'm 5'8 1/2" (DON'T FORGET THE EXTRA 1/2"!!!) and have a 34" waist. Looking at the pants I was thinking about a big, bold 2" cuff simply due to the style of the pants and the nature of the fabric. But I get the feeling I should be thinking about a smaller cuff or no cuff? Hmm.
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    2" cuff is awesome.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdjackofclubs View Post
    Ok. All good replies. I'm 5'8 1/2" (DON'T FORGET THE EXTRA 1/2"!!!) and have a 34" waist. Looking at the pants I was thinking about a big, bold 2" cuff simply due to the style of the pants and the nature of the fabric. But I get the feeling I should be thinking about a smaller cuff or no cuff? Hmm.
    I am 5’8” and never do cuffs anymore. All of the menswear advice I have read advises against it. The thought process is that the cuff adds a visual break to the clean lines of pants and can make you look shorter. I certainly don’t need help with that! Through personal observance and trial and error, I tend to agree. YMMV

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I am 5’8” and never do cuffs anymore. All of the menswear advice I have read advises against it. The thought process is that the cuff adds a visual break to the clean lines of pants and can make you look shorter. I certainly don’t need help with that! Through personal observance and trial and error, I tend to agree. YMMV
    I agree. I do not wish to look shorter. But I also have two additional thoughts:

1. If I hem them short enough so that there's really no break, it may look ok; maybe even fantastic, and

2. If I decide I hate the cuff, it's easy to take them back to remove the cuff. Can't do the opposite.
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdjackofclubs View Post
    I agree. I do not wish to look shorter. But I also have two additional thoughts:

1. If I hem them short enough so that there's really no break, it may look ok; maybe even fantastic, and

2. If I decide I hate the cuff, it's easy to take them back to remove the cuff. Can't do the opposite.
    I believe the thought thought is even with limited to no break when the visual stops at the top of the cuff then you are still taking 1-2" off the entire visual look of the person. As a shorter height person some don't want that look, you want the person to look taller and that is accomplished with nothing to break-up the pants look regardless of break.

But if you don't mind the tailoring ... why not just ask your tailor to pin it up and see if you like the look. If it doesn't even pass the tailor mirror then have them do a normal hem etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I believe the thought thought is even with limited to no break when the visual stops at the top of the cuff then you are still taking 1-2" off the entire visual look of the person. As a shorter height person some don't want that look, you want the person to look taller and that is accomplished with nothing to break-up the pants look regardless of break.

But if you don't mind the tailoring ... why not just ask your tailor to pin it up and see if you like the look. If it doesn't even pass the tailor mirror then have them do a normal hem etc.
    Good points all around.

I was going to go today, but we're dealing with a nice little springtime winter storm today here in Western PA, so it will have to wait until Friday or Saturday. I will report in.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sam
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com