Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cuffs?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    If you're under, say 5'9 or 5'10ish, I would suggest you REALLY reconsider the idea of a cuff. Also, if your pants is plain front, as in, it doesn't have pleats, cuffs do not serve any practical function either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    The benefit of cuffs is that the give more weight to the leg opening and allow for better drape. Especially with minimal/no break. Better drape works for everyone.

The visual issue of cuffs in terms of breaking the flow for not tall people is also true but can sometimes be overcome by higher rise alone, which is actually the first step I would recommend for someone who has somewhat of a vertical challenge.

Alternative, if the higher rise is not possible (cost) or not enough, plain cuffs with a thin canvas underlining strip is the way to go.

Also this issue about cuffs/no cuffs in terms of visual height is very affected by the break of the pants and leg opening. All these things are interlinked.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    IMO cuffs are out of style and out-dated. I'd go with flat front, no pleats or cuffs, if it was my money.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    If you're under, say 5'9 or 5'10ish, I would suggest you REALLY reconsider the idea of a cuff. Also, if your pants is plain front, as in, it doesn't have pleats, cuffs do not serve any practical function either.
    I'm not sure what practical purpose cuffs serve when trousers have pleats? I'm with doomx in that they add a bit of weight and can improve drape.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    IMO cuffs are out of style and out-dated. I'd go with flat front, no pleats or cuffs, if it was my money.
    I think this is the common view, however cuffs IMHO are a classic look. For me cuffs not only serve the practical purpose of improving drape, and also provide an option that can easily be changed (you can't generally change an uncuffed trouser to a cuffed trouser), but for those looking to differenciate themselves it's a simple thing to do. I think the cut of your trousers and the amount of break end up affecting the overall look more than cuffed vs uncuffed. I think it also signals that you bought higher end trousers, since inexpensive, off the rack trousers usually don't have enough material to execute a cuff, especially on those of us over 6' tall.

Browsing the blog of The Armoury I couldn't find a single photo where anyone didn't have cuffs. These are among the most stylish guys out there IMHO.

http://thearmoury.tumblr.com/post/17...at-the-armoury

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    The only practical functions cuffs serve at all today are to add weight and drape to the trousers. Otherwise it is a visual style decision just like whether you prefer tassel loafers or hate them. Pleats have nothing to do with cuffs, they are to provide more fabric when sitting down, making the trousers more comfortable in that position. They also can hide some belly, but IMO unless they are tailored to lay completely flat when standing, they look worse than flat front on a bigger person.

Originally they were turned up by hand in wet weather to prevent the bottom of the material from getting soaked. Supposedly King Edward VII had them built into trousers he wore in rainy weather and others followed. They were banned during WWII to save fabric (along with flapped jacket pockets) and came back into style later.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Just my opinion but I think cuff or no cuff depends more on the fabric and style of the pant than on how tall or short you are. I'm old enough to remember the late '80s, when pleats and fuller cuts were in, and I almost always got such pants cuffed if they were formal wool dress trousers. Even off the rack pleated chinos mostly came with cuffs back then. I still have a full cut suit that's roughly 12 years old (purchased well into the flat front is in 2000s) with pleated pants and those pants have cuffs.Flat front lower rise slimmer pants - they're more minimalist to begin with so I never thought cuffs were needed.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Get the cuffs. You clearly want them. Taking them off later if you change your mind is easy.

I personally don’t really buy the idea that cuffs make a short man look shorter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Just saw some of the more recent responses. I had a feeling this might invoke strong opinions within this group.

I went with my gut and asked my tailor for a 2" cuff with no break. I feel the fabric has enough texture and are slim enough in the leg to make this look work. If when I get them I decide otherwise, then I will remove them. But I do feel confident (at least for now) with my decision.

Thank you!
    instagram.com/cutandbasted
    cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    As for the history, I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly when trouser cuffs started, but there are references to them from the 19th century as something common with farmers. A big early-20th Century push of trouser cuffs as a fashion trend took the form of heavily contrasting cuffs with either a different color or pattern than the trousers. The contrast cuffs were seen as either high fashion or tacky... not much has changed.