Thread: I broke the cardinal rule of suit buying...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I broke the cardinal rule of suit buying...

and ended up with pretty big shoulder divots.

Any salvaging this? I've already cut the tags off and worn it once. I have another jacket that is the same way and already got the pants altered.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    Technically your options are:

1. Try to have the shoulders adjusted by a tailor: As stated every time this issue comes up, this is a very risky and expensive proposition. It should only be attempted on a very expensive, heirloom suit that has sentimental value to you and you have money to throw away in the event it doesn't turn out. 99% of cases don't fall into this category, nor do most people have anyone with this skill in their town/city, or the money to waste on the experiement.

2. Give the suit away and take a loss.

3. Check the return policy on the suit. Try returning it if you have the receipt. If they accept it with the tags removed, then you are golden. For the 2nd suit where you had the pants altered, it depends on what was done. If anything related to the waist or seat was altered, reversing it will not really be an option. If you only had the pants hemmed (and they didn't cut off any material), you can carefull remove the stitches with a stitch ripper and iron out the remaining creases. This is assuming that the pants came un-hemmed.

I can't in good conscious recommend the 3rd option unless the suit it going back in basically new and sale-able shape. This story is a good example of why I remind myself everytime I try to buy something to try it on and really make sure it fits like I want before paying. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks. I will probably just try to sell them. Now I just need to figure out a brand/cut that fits correctly. The frustrating thing is I am most likely stuck doing the online buy/return thing and it could realistically be a couple weeks before I find something.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quoted
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Weezy View Post
    Thanks. I will probably just try to sell them. Now I just need to figure out a brand/cut that fits correctly. The frustrating thing is I am most likely stuck doing the online buy/return thing and it could realistically be a couple weeks before I find something.
    Only a couple of weeks? That's no time at all. Figure out your best fitting suit/sport coat, if you have one, and measure it to get an idea of sizing. If not, get a fabric tape measure and measure your body. Then order something. Spier & Mackay offer the first jacket return free but Suit Supply allows all returns free so I usually ordered 2 jackets before I figured out my sizing in each style.

Take your time and figure out what you want before purchasing. My worst purchases have been impulses or sales unless it is on an item I have been searching for over time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)
    A few weeks is nothing. Time and patience are key when it comes to finding a fit that works for you. Definitely don't rush to the tailor with a new purchase either! If it's a fit or a brand I don't have much experience with I prefer to keep it around for a few days to a week thinking about what alterations are needed and weighing whether or not it's worth it. Plus you have the "How does this fit?" thread and other places like styleforum where people are more than willing to help you along the way.