Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Shirt Recommendation Early 2018

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zac10sim View Post
    So I am fed up with OTR shirts. I have a very odd body type. Extremely broad shoulders which slope violently downward. Basically I have no neck; not from effort but genectics.

I am going to order made to measure shirts and most of the threads I have found on the subject are very old.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the more well known companies? Specifically, I am considering

- Proper Cloth
    - Deo Veritas
    - J Hillburn
    - Blank Label

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts.
    Ever considered Joseph Abboud from MW? I know they aren't as prestigious, but I've heard lots of good things about Joseph Abboud line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I’d strongly recommend Deo Veritas. I found them via a review of a few different custom shirtmakers (http://mydapperself.com/online-custo...-shirt-review/). Proper Cloth, Deo Veritas, Indochino, and MTailor were all featured and Deo actually got the award as the top shirtmaker. I’ve actually ordered from Proper Cloth previously which were fine but had some issues with fit that were a bit frustrating (had shirts with the same size that fit differently). I gave Deo Veritas a shot and have been thrilled. The turnaround time (10 days), the level of customization, and the fit/quality are really great... now have about 1/2 dozen from them. They’re also the only shirtmaker I’ve found that makes James Bond style cocktail cuffs. Another shirt maker not mentioned but that I’d recommend is Ratio. Their shirts are US made which to me is a big plus. They do take a bit longer though (4 weeks).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I was highly disappointed with Proper Cloth. It took THREE tries to get my "basic" shirt right--and I was at the Soho store each time, being measured by one of their tailors! I also found much of the staff to be snobby & disinterested. If you're anywhere near the town of Millburn, New Jersey, I recommend Gambert Custom Shirts. They finally got it right for me, and I'm happy with every shirt they've ever made for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    246 Post(s)
    Spier and Mackay were good to me with a custom shirt order. I ordered a bundle and they make one first and send it. Mine had to be remade and during the interim they came out with the new Kamakura styled button down collar and changed my order to include those at my request. The shirts I ended up getting were excellent value and the cloth was very nice.

If you have a really difficult body to fit, perhaps have a tailor make one exactly like you want it and then send it to Luxire to copy if the tailor's pricing is too much to do all your shirts. Luxire has tons of fabrics from cheap to outrageously nice and do a good job with almost everything they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just throwing in a datapoint for Indochino. I gave them a shot when they had deal for shirts at $50 or so. I have a very slim waist in comparison to my shoulders. Got measured in store. The shirts fit, but I think their style is just very, very fitted, so there was some restriction of movement in the arms and shoulders, and they weren't the most comfortable. Looked great, though. The fabric on most of my shirts was pretty thin, and between that and the tightness, I ended up wearing holes in the elbows in less than a year. My go-to is now off-the-rack, super-fitted shirts from T.M. Lewin. Still a little too big in the waist for me, but good enough, and you can get them on sale for $30/each.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I have ordered 27 custom shirts from My Tailor and never had an issue. First, they ask for your measurements(if you can't do it, I'm sure a tailor in your neighborhood will). Then there is a list of different collars,cuffs,plackets and so on. I believe the first shirt is plain white and 80 bucks but I'll tell you I don't think I ever spent more than 130 bucks on a 100% cotton shirt. There are different price ranges but that's up to you. I had them do really "out there" designs i.e. horizontal stripes, body color with different color collar and cuffs or solid body color with striped collar and cuffs. My body hasn't really changed much in 10 years, so my money is on them. A few times I used Paul Fredrick and they were fine too.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)
    I have a couple from Luxire that I like a lot.