Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Shirt Recommendation Early 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Custom Shirt Recommendation Early 2018

So I am fed up with OTR shirts. I have a very odd body type. Extremely broad shoulders which slope violently downward. Basically I have no neck; not from effort but genectics.

I am going to order made to measure shirts and most of the threads I have found on the subject are very old.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the more well known companies? Specifically, I am considering

- Proper Cloth
    - Deo Veritas
    - J Hillburn
    - Blank Label

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)
    My experience with custom shirts was before there were so many choices on the internet, and I would go get measured for them by a tailor. I was very happy with them. If you live anywhere near a sizable city, given how you describe your body type, you can probably find someone good to do that, and you might want to consider it. I don't do that anymore for a number of reasons I won't go into, but I sure did enjoy the shirts fitting so well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I do live in a decent sized city with a number of tailor options. However, I would say the fabric selection is smaller at the three clothiers in my city with good reputations and resonable prices. I wish that weren't the case. That is why I am leaving towards J. Hilburn. It requires an in person measurement by their stylists.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    I was fairly unimpressed with the fabric quality from Proper Cloth -- did not feel very substantial or hold up well over time. Dialing in my size also took more effort than I expected. Frustrating process.

FWIW, I've had much better luck with Ratio.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Consider Spier & Mackay, especially if price is a consideration. You may need to send some photos to them if you have some extensive requirements such as sloping shoulders, I would think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Do you have any experience with Spier & Mackay

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zac10sim View Post
    Do you have any experience with Spier & Mackay
    I do! I'm pretty impressed with how my first order came out and already have a second on the way (a green uni stripe and medium wash denim). If you have some crazy shoulders I would email their CS before placing your order with some pictures to work with. They should be able to make a suggestion on what to do with your shoulder slope.

FWIW my measurements were based off their 14.5" slim OTR fit and I just made adjustments from there so if you have experience with their OTR fit that can help out big time with figuring out what adjustments you need.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I have about half a dozen Spier & Mackay custom shirts. Hense why I recommend them.

What I did (this might be a bit OCD) was measure each aspect of my current dress shirts in order to come up with the measurements I thought would work best. I would not recommend making any changes where you are slimming something more than 1cm at a time. I find that some guys go for their first MTM shirt online and try to make them too slim.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I have about five Proper Cloth shirts and I like them a lot. I wore Brooks Brothers shirts almost exclusively for work - I am tall with a very long torso. I couldn’t stand the shirts coming untucked all the time, fabric ballooning in other place.

Custom is a great alternative. They can make the tails longer and add more buttons down the front to get a much nicer, slimmer tailored fit. It’s an amazing feeling to put on a shirt that just fits, everything laying just where it should. I waited too long to get on the custom shirt train.

I think Proper Cloth stands out with their new wrinkle free shirts. The wrinkle free properties match Brooks Brothers and the fit is a zillion times better. I also really like their more casual fabric like a great Japanese chambray.

My first shirt from them wasn’t a great fit. I am lucky to live in NYC. They remade the first shirt for me. And I go back in from time to time and they make more small tweaks. Just about have it to the perfect shirt for me now.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Do you live in or near a city with a Blank Label showroom? I have a few shirts from them and they're only okay but they did nail the fit when I went in for a fitting. If you can make it to one of their showrooms, I suggest making an appointment and get your first shirt from Blank Label. You can usually get your first one for half off. Then use that as your basis for measurements and order from Spier & Mackay which are better quality and value.

If you can't get to a Blank Label showroom I would skip them as an option. Their fabrics aren't that impressive and their collar options, frankly, stink. The only thing they really have going for them is their turnaround time is really quick and their basic shipping is built into the list price which isn't the case with some of the other options.