Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dalton boots factory seconds.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

Dalton boots factory seconds.

The last sale that AE had there seconds Dalton's for $209 very low as there lowest usually $250. I ordered the black danite sole to wear with my black jeans. I got them Friday expecting a defect but none where found expect one thing, the leather quality the leather just has a cheap feel to it even the interior is not the reddish color like my other Dalton. My understanding that AE that doesn't make a line exclusive for factory seconds but with these boots makes me question them. All the other retailers have outlets and they make cheaper versions just for there outlets(junk!) and hopefully AE doesn't follow the same steps. I'm an AE customer both first quality and factory seconds (for footwear that I don't wear often). They are not perfect but with there sales they have the best bang for quality ratio. I'm hoping new management of AE doesn't think they can outsmart customers make shoes exclusive for there outlets.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiconice View Post
    The last sale that AE had there seconds Dalton's for $209 very low as there lowest usually $250. I ordered the black danite sole to wear with my black jeans. I got them Friday expecting a defect but none where found expect one thing, the leather quality the leather just has a cheap feel to it even the interior is not the reddish color like my other Dalton. My understanding that AE that doesn't make a line exclusive for factory seconds but with these boots makes me question them. All the other retailers have outlets and they make cheaper versions just for there outlets(junk!) and hopefully AE doesn't follow the same steps. I'm an AE customer both first quality and factory seconds (for footwear that I don't wear often). They are not perfect but with there sales they have the best bang for quality ratio. I'm hoping new management of AE doesn't think they can outsmart customers make shoes exclusive for there outlets.

I had put couple coats of shapire shoe polish to get decent shine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    Worse leather counts as a defect, so it’s entirely possible that those boots were made with lower grade leather. AE outlets are meant for factory seconds, and I don’t think it makes sense for AE to make a lower quality line specifically for outlets since customers are already expecting a lower quality product.

Lining color can change, makers often change lining color depending on the leather color
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    I can see some creases on the tops, but it's hard to identify the issue with out a better view than you've provided. you should take a better picture somewhere with less wierd lighting, it's very hard to say that the leather is one way or the other with out soft lighting and a few good views from different angles. It could be up to 4 times harder with trying to take a good picture of the black.

As well, those shoes look like they don't even fit you?

the laces are so wide and far out. something going on there. Are you like stretching the little shoe with your big wide foot? Because that would certainly make the leather perform a little wierd.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    I can see some creases on the tops, but it's hard to identify the issue with out a better view than you've provided. you should take a better picture somewhere with less wierd lighting, it's very hard to say that the leather is one way or the other with out soft lighting and a few good views from different angles. It could be up to 4 times harder with trying to take a good picture of the black.

the laces are so wide and far out. something going on there. Are you like stretching the little shoe with your big wide foot? Because that would certainly make the leather perform a little wierd.
    This is what bothered me the most about the picture. The bridge of the foot looks absolutely monstrous compared to the rest of the shoe. Looks like a EEE would fit a lot better or you need to size up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post

I had the picture taken while I was at the bar but I will link more pictures later. They did crease on the first wear and did have plasticity feel to them can compared them to the JC PENNEY Deacon boot(that go $65 bucks). Yes you have good eye, Daltons fit me perfect (these are my 3rd pair), but I do wear shoe 3/4" shoe lift insert(not so much for fit but to look taller) so it does add to the spreading of the flaps but despite that they do looked too open and really stiff compared to my other Dalton's. I had to used a heat gun and hold them down with straps over night to make them look closer to the shoe vamp. All my AE boots are factory seconds and the leather on those don't look like this boot and where comfortable on the first wear very little break in. I live in Houston so boots sit in the closet for 7 months and the only black boots I bought 1st quality where my Liverpool's, and they look awesome.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    This is what bothered me the most about the picture. The bridge of the foot looks absolutely monstrous compared to the rest of the shoe. Looks like a EEE would fit a lot better or you need to size up.
    I have been measured in the AE retail store and Nordstrom using there Brannock device tool and I always been measure at 8.5D (despite I'm always 9d)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiconice View Post
    I have been measured in the AE retail store and Nordstrom using there Brannock device tool and I always been measure at 8.5D (despite I'm always 9d)

The strap is on to help reshape the flap.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Between stretching them with an internal lift and then using a heat gun on your new boots I would suggest plenty of conditioner and then a polish for the leather. I'm sure that will help alleviate the plastic-y feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    been reading the blog/forums for a long time without registering, actually made an account today specifically to post my experience with factory 2nd daltons and whatya know, this is the 2nd top thread.

I'm really not a picky guy, most of the posts indicating stitch quality, etc. go into more detail than I'd know to look for... but these just seem unacceptably bad. I'm not sure if this is normal for factory 2nds, but with the $25 restocking fee, I don't plan on trying again. fresh out of the box, unworn (by me, anyway).

Those were the bigger blemishes, but both boots have 'minor' marring all over like this.