Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dalton boots factory seconds.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t3ch View Post
    been reading the blog/forums for a long time without registering, actually made an account today specifically to post my experience with factory 2nd daltons and whatya know, this is the 2nd top thread.

I'm really not a picky guy, most of the posts indicating stitch quality, etc. go into more detail than I'd know to look for... but these just seem unacceptably bad. I'm not sure if this is normal for factory 2nds, but with the $25 restocking fee, I don't plan on trying again. fresh out of the box, unworn (by me, anyway).

Those were the bigger blemishes, but both boots have 'minor' marring all over like this.

I wouldn't say they're unacceptably bad, maybe slightly below average (if not average) for factory seconds? I've ordered maybe 4 pairs of so throughout the years, and my f2 daltons pretty much looked exactly like that: a bit of subpar leather, some creasing along the shaft. I'd be satisfied with those for factory seconds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    woof if those are par for the course on 2nds...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiconice View Post
    I have been measured in the AE retail store and Nordstrom using there Brannock device tool and I always been measure at 8.5D (despite I'm always 9d)
    Despite the frequent refrain to ďget fittedĒ using a Brannock device, Iíve had little luck with that strategy. AE had me squeezing my feet into a pair of Daltons that were a size smaller than I usually wear and told me I should be wearing a B. The sweet spot so far for me seems to be a half size up from Brannock in an E.

I would think that adding lifts to your shoes would imply that you need to go with a wider shoe, too. 3/4 inch extra height is a lot of extra volume.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    been reading the blog/forums for a long time without registering, actually made an account today specifically to post my experience with factory 2nd daltons and whatya know, this is the 2nd top thread.

I'm really not a picky guy, most of the posts indicating stitch quality, etc. go into more detail than I'd know to look for... but these just seem unacceptably bad. I'm not sure if this is normal for factory 2nds, but with the $25 restocking fee, I don't plan on trying again. fresh out of the box, unworn (by me, anyway)
    Yuck. Iíve ordered a couple pairs of seconds and they definitely didnít look like that. These might fit their definition of seconds but I hope thatís not typical. Iíd send these back for sure.

Also are they really charging $25 restocking fee now? I thought it used to be $10. Been a long while since I ordered any though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

I'm really not a picky guy, most of the posts indicating stitch quality, etc. go into more detail than I'd know to look for... but these just seem unacceptably bad. I'm not sure if this is normal for factory 2nds, but with the $25 restocking fee, I don't plan on trying again. fresh out of the box, unworn (by me, anyway).

Those were the bigger blemishes, but both boots have 'minor' marring all over like this.

Other than the tongue patch, they look okay to me. And frankly I think you could fix the tongue blemish with enough Saphir nonsense. Of course that depends on you owning the Saphir nonsense in the first place.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    Other than the tongue patch, they look okay to me. And frankly I think you could fix the tongue blemish with enough Saphir nonsense. Of course that depends on you owning the Saphir nonsense in the first place.
    The wrinkled texture of the leather near the sole looks pretty terrible to me. Itís so aggressively wrinkled that itís transferred the texture to the brogued layers on top.

And this doesnít look like wrinkles from normal wear to me, so I would not expect this to really blend in with the normal patina/aging with wear.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    The wrinkled texture of the leather near the sole looks pretty terrible to me.
    It's not great-looking, but if he said he'd had the boots for a year, I wouldn't look twice at it. (Maybe he scraped them hard on a bench?)

For my money, it's a flaw I'd tolerate for a $100 price cut. (But it's probably not a flaw I'd tolerate if fixing it cost a $25 restocking fee and calling the AE folks to make sure they're sending me something decent.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I edited while you were replying. I donít feel like age will mask this well. But maybe Iím wrong.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    312 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    I edited while you were replying. I donít feel like age will mask this well. But maybe Iím wrong.
    My guess is that it's poor quality leather that's looser, basically subpar clicking. You're right that age won't do anything to mask it in the sense that it'll stay there forever, if not get more wrinkled. But I do think it will "blend in" as the shoe gets worn and creasing shows up elsewhere. Not saying it's perfect by any means, but I think this these daltons are pretty much what the definition of factory second: a few cosmetic blemishes but nothing that impacts the structural integrity of the shoe. If you get a factory second that could have been sold as firsts quality because you can't even spot the blemish, that just means you got lucky.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

At least you got 1s quality leather with defects. Your defects are not noticeable at first glance and still look high quality leather boots.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk