Thread: Measuring shirt vs jacket (spier and Mackay)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

Measuring shirt vs jacket (spier and Mackay)

I've dialed in my shirt size with spier and Mackay and now Interested in a sport coat but don't know if I should use the same.measurements or go a little bit bigger (if so by how much (+1/4, 1/2, 1") since it's going over the shirt and under shirt and for mobility.

FYI, spier and Mackay slim is pretty much identical in fit to BB Milano fit shirts, 15 1/2. No idea about contemporary but I'm also good with BB regent fit 15.

Also I know about the free returns for first suit/jacket order but trying trying to get it close to right so don't have to deal with returns.

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    Have someone wrap a tape measure around your chest, an inch under your armpits. Have it on normally, like a belt... don't cinch it up or you will measure a size too small.

Jackets from different cuts also differ on how the collar lays. I find Spier and Mackay to be a little loose on the collar, but it's not the worst I've tried.

I would not recommend going by the chest size on the shirt. What might fit fine on a shirt may cause problems with a jacket. For example, I have shirts with 40–42 chest that fit acceptably, but that size jacket would be too small for me over the shoulders.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    I'm going by every measurement they offer including shoulders. I'm not just going by chest.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    You should compare the listed measurements against a measured jacket that you already own. For example, the size 36 slim jacket has a 39" measurement, but if you measure at a 39" chest, you'll probably need a size 40 jacket which has a larger chest measurement, because the jacket needs to fit over the shirt.

Also did they change BB milano fit recently? The ones I bought 2 years ago are way baggier than my spier mackay shirts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Youre right, comparing against something I already own is the best approach.

Regarding bb vs sm, I was just going by mirror and did not do measurements. SM shirt just bought this month
    My bb Milano I got about 2 years ago.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    My bad, I see what you're saying now.

I would also recommend emailing Spier and Mackay about this. They have helped me with fit questions quickly in the past.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    NP.

Actually I'm asking because i really like the way the SM shirts look on me and the jackets that I have that I thought looked good are smaller in say chest measurement so now I'm thinking are my jackets too small? I measure my jacket chest just by the back pit to pit and doubling it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpb View Post
    NP.

Actually I'm asking because i really like the way the SM shirts look on me and the jackets that I have that I thought looked good are smaller in say chest measurement so now I'm thinking are my jackets too small? I measure my jacket chest just by the back pit to pit and doubling it.
    Unless the lapels are bowing out, or you can feel the garment is tight in the chest, then your jackets probably fit just fine and are over thinking it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    My first S&M purchase was a jacket in 40S slim. It was too tight and too short.

My next purchase was a pair of chinos in 34 slim. They were a big snug across the tuchas, but otherwise good.

My last purchase was a Slim shirt in 16 1/2. Aside from the ridiculously long sleeves, it was a perfect fit.

Right now I am eyeballing a jacket, and if I pull the trigger will buy it in 40R Contemporary.

Not sure if this helps; but maybe it does.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.
    “Good luck. We're all counting on you.”
    ― Dr. Rumack