Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is tailoring worth it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Is tailoring worth it?

I found this Suit Supply Napoli jacket at the local Howard Brown for a pittance. I'm almost embarrassed by how little I had to pay for it, and in my size....ish. Normally, I'm a 38 short, this is a 38 long. Would chopping the tail be a worthwhile investment? I don't have the matching pants but depending on the cost of tailoring, I'd certainly consider it.

The style number is P7781. I'm not at all familiar with SS aside from reading about it so I'm assuming it's part of a suit?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Chopping a jacket is risky. It lowers the button point, and will throw off the balance between front and back. At most, don't go more than 1 inch. Try pinning it first and see how it looks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    I hate to say it but don't waste your money. As mentioned the entire jacket is proportioned for that size and chopping off length can throw that all off. In some cases in can be done ok, but going from a Long to a Short? Given that a long is 1-1.5" longer than a Regular and a Short is 1-1.5" shorter than a Regular you're looking at a minimum of 2 inches to be chopped off. Taking that much off will basically need a complete rebuild of the entire jacket and isn't feasible and would be very costly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxonus View Post
    Chopping a jacket is risky. It lowers the button point, and will throw off the balance between front and back. At most, don't go more than 1 inch. Try pinning it first and see how it looks.
    It's definitely more than an inch. It's hard for me to conceptualize the geometry of all of this sometimes. Makes a lot of sense though. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    How long is the jacket? (Measured from bottom of collar to the hem)

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    It probably won't look good tailored from a long to a short, for the reasons mentioned above. But I can't imagine that you'd want to wear it without the size adjustment.

How about this for an idea: You might be able to sell it for a profit if you only paid a pittance--and then use the $$$ to buy something that fits better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Shortening sleeves, hemming, yes, but changing the jacket size from long to short requires SERIOUS tailoring from a good tailor for you to look good

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    That's my backup plan, and it's looking like it's moving from back to front!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sky7i View Post
    How long is the jacket? (Measured from bottom of collar to the hem)
    It's about 30 inches, plus or minus a little.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    To do it right would probably require at least as much as getting a jacket custom tailored from scratch. The issue is that if you just chop off the tails, the button stance and overall shape where the jacket nips in from shoulder to waist is going to look all wrong. So, then you have to pull apart the entire jacket to re-shape it so the button stance and shape looks right compared to the jacket length. That's going to be as much, or more, labor than building a new jacket from scratch, and it still may not work if there's not enough fabric to re-cut the shape and sew it back together. Probably more labor than building a tailor made jacket from scratch but the materials are free so it may be marginally cheaper or about the same.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain