Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is tailoring worth it?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    To do it right would probably require at least as much as getting a jacket custom tailored from scratch. The issue is that if you just chop off the tails, the button stance and overall shape where the jacket nips in from shoulder to waist is going to look all wrong. So, then you have to pull apart the entire jacket to re-shape it so the button stance and shape looks right compared to the jacket length. That's going to be as much, or more, labor than building a new jacket from scratch, and it still may not work if there's not enough fabric to re-cut the shape and sew it back together. Probably more labor than building a tailor made jacket from scratch but the materials are free so it may be marginally cheaper or about the same.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Sell it and pocket the proceeds for the next SuSu outlet sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Learning how to do your own alterations is not that difficult. I alter all of my thrifting finds with a basic sewing machine I purchased for well under $100.00 Here's a sports coat I recently purchased that fit like a sack. I slimmed the jacket and removed the rear center vent (my first time doing that alteration). It really transforms the jacket. The money I saved by not going to a tailor covered the cost of my sewing machine!

Buy cheap... wear well... SplurgeFrugal.com