Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light gray wool trousers and dress shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I'm really curious if we're all thinking the same exact shade of grey. LOL. I thought mid grey was THE color. But sounds like light grey is also the color.
    All neutrals are very versatile, that's why they're recommended for trousers. While light grey is a neutral, how light it is would affect what I wear with it and what time of year I would do so.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Light gray is versatile but IMO stands out much more than mid/dark gray in an office setting. So, although light gray goes with anything, for the reason/view I just mentioned, when I wear light gray pants (or even a suit) in the office, I wear either black shoes (tassel loafers or wingtips), or most commonly dark brown, to keep things nicely toned down. Light gray trousers with walnut shoes screams #menswear, which is fine, but not my personal MO. Cheers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    I'm wearing a grey/blue pants from JCrew today and matched it with a burgandy-brown monk strap.
    I find the darker shades of brown and black work better. I tried walnut and light brown and i thought it didn't work as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    I like my chocolate suede and my navy suede shoes with all shades of grey trousers except charcoal. I wear black shoes with charcoal, and often with the lighter greys. I'm not fond of either dark brown or burgundy shoes with charcoal regardless of what #menswear says.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    I'm not fond of either dark brown or burgundy shoes with charcoal regardless of what #menswear says.
    I find it depends on the shade of burgundy. If it's as dark or darker than the charcoal, it can work. In fact, putting up a dark grey or black against a really dark burgundy is sometimes the only way for the purple to be noticeable.

It's actually why I've been trying to find a nice merlot or burgundy pair, to wear with greys and my dark brown suit, as an alternative to black.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I find it depends on the shade of burgundy. If it's as dark or darker than the charcoal, it can work. In fact, putting up a dark grey or black against a really dark burgundy is sometimes the only way for the purple to be noticeable.

It's actually why I've been trying to find a nice merlot or burgundy pair, to wear with greys and my dark brown suit, as an alternative to black.
    I suppose with a lighter charcoal it would be fine. My charcoal suit is quite dark compared to some I've seen.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    I suppose with a lighter charcoal it would be fine. My charcoal suit is quite dark compared to some I've seen.
    I get that. I cannot bring myself to wear shoes lighter than my suits, with the exception of navy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    You can't go wrong with brown!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Dark burgundy/Merlot shoes with charcoal suit is a classic combination. They can't be oxblood though. Really dark.