Thread: Barbour jacket question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

Barbour jacket question

I am considering buying a Barbour Ashby on Ebay. The description on the listing states that the jacket is new with tags but also has the following: "Please be aware, the label below the collar is striked-through with a black marker. "

Any idea what this indicates? Should I avoid buying one like this?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    663 Post(s)
    That's so that you can't return it to the store for credit/full refund. It is a very common practice on ebay afaik. Personally I've never done it when selling stuff.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Just makes it that you can't return it to a store. I frequently see that practice used by bigger sellers who are selling stuff from J. Crew. My guess is that stores who can't get rid of stock will offload to 3rd party sellers, and as a part of that they have to make sure that it's final sale.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    521 Post(s)
    a lot of 2nd hand retailers and wholesalers will do this for the above reasons, store returning etc. The big companies pressure them to do so usually, and can do this most successfully if they every sell to them.

Sometimes even seen it as Marshalls or TJ Max

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I thought that might be the case but wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger. I've see marks like this on shoes that are seconds but I don't think that Barbour sell seconds.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I thought that might be the case but wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger. I've see marks like this on shoes that are seconds but I don't think that Barbour sell seconds.
    Barbour do sell samples and surplus stock if not seconds; I’ve bought a few items myself over the years at their outlet in Maine and all the jackets had some form of mark on the tag (mostly the “o” filled in with marker but sometimes a strike) while the sweaters did not.

Also based on the fact that it’s an Ashby, I’d guess it’s J. Crew overstock since their stuff is pretty commonly found on eBay with that kind of mark as others have said.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Some kind of tag cut, mark (like filling in a “o”), or a dark mark on a shoe sole is common at many outlet sales. I've seen suck doctoring at The North Face, Patagonia, Sierra Designs, Rack, and other outlets. Lots of Allen Edmonds shoes at the Rack, for example, have a dark mark impressed into the bottom of the sole just next to the heel stack.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    One other question. I am looking at two different Ashbys on Ebay...one is new with tags and the other is new without tags. Worth paying a $20 premium for the tags?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
    One other question. I am looking at two different Ashbys on Ebay...one is new with tags and the other is new without tags. Worth paying a $20 premium for the tags?
    I actually take “new” on eBay with a grain of salt. “With tags” is probably slightly more likely to actually be unused. Of course, I have a well-used Filson duffel bag with tags still attached - they are on the inside and I just never bothered to take them off. Your mileage may vary...