Thread: Dress shirt puckering at seams

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Dress shirt puckering at seams

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has this issue, my Spier & Mackay shirts pucker at the seems since they’re not non-iron shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    195 Post(s)
    I probably have 10 Spier & Mackay shirts and I've never seen this type of puckering. I iron all my shirts myself, so I would have. Seems like they might have rushed sewing this one together. Is this what it looks like after you've ironed the seam?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Can definitely relate. Not a fan of this myself.

My recommendation:

Pull the end of the garment thus "flattening" the pucker and go over it once or twice with the iron.

This typically works well for me. Good luck....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I have the same phenomenon with a couple of my dress shirts. Seems to iron out ok but weird that I only have seen it on higher-end shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    Is this at all noticeable when you're wearing the shirt? I can't imagine it's an issue IRL
    Last edited by Alex.C; March 12th, 2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: IS - Is; actually seemed snarky

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity, those of you with this puckering, do you run your shirts through the dryer? I haven't noticed this issue on dress shirts, but I have on BR polos. I suspect it is due to the threads tightening as a result of machine drying.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    Out of curiosity, those of you with this puckering, do you run your shirts through the dryer? I haven't noticed this issue on dress shirts, but I have on BR polos. I suspect it is due to the threads tightening as a result of machine drying.
    This happens with dryers. Also, if you press or steam shirts too enthusiatically, the threads will tighten up.

I press after a shirt comes out of the wash and then hang to allow drying the rest of the way.

I'm not aware of a way to undo this short of sewing the seams again. Like collar or cuff delamination, this is best to avoid in the first place by being gentle.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    195 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    This is possible. I would never put a dress shirt in the dryer. I already have issues with sleeve length on OTR shirts, and order MTM shirts to fit a specific way, so the dryer would simply ruin the fit.

Looking at this problem again I have to think that ironing over the seam would help somewhat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Thanks for the all the info guys. These pics were taken after wearing and not ironing, so it is a bit exaggerated. However I just just got new S&M shirts, washed them and air dried them and they have the same issue. After ironing it is not as bad but it is still there returns after wear. It is fairly obvious while wearing

I guess it’s just because they are not non-iron and don’t have taped seems....but still seems extreme as I haven’t really seen this before