Thread: Least Worn, Mandatory Clothing Items

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    ...are any of these really “mandatory”?
    Only if you are going on a date which involves hunting... maybe a paintball date...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    ...are any of these really “mandatory”?
    I was wondering the same thing. Mandatory for the Goodwill donation pile, maybe.

Okay, except for the black shirt. I have three. But I have a lot of freakin' shirts.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Up until two months ago, I never thought I would say my black cap-toe oxfords, which I wore at least twice a week (and sometimes three times) for 15 years, but ever since I purchased three different pairs of AE ox blood, bourbon, and walnut wingtips, my full-price AE Park Avenue oxfords get worn once a week at most. This week I didn't wear them at all.

Chinos? I have one pair of khaki colored chinos. I wear them maybe once a month. At most. Sometimes I go three or four months without wearing them. I wear jeans, dress trousers, or a suit, but almost never chinos. They remind me of Walter White (Breaking Bad). Or sometimes when men my age wear them with a tucked in shirt, and they are a little bit overweight, like an old girlfriend used to say, they remind me of the Michelin Man Tire Cartoon.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    888 Post(s)
    Walnut strands - mandatory per the Dappered thinking from prior years, in that everyone had them, I just rarely wear walnut shoes these days.
    Black oxfords - I use them with my tux and in very formal biz meetings (not that I don't have other shoes that could work for these, just so I actually use them). I could/should wear them more, but browns are my default

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Black cap-toe oxfords - I have a pair of AE Park Avenues that I've worn twice in the 5+ years that I've owned them. They fit, there's nothing wrong with them, it's just that due to my circumstance, if I'm wearing black shoes with a suit, I'm wearing black wingtips instead.

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    White dress shirt.

I wear dress shirts to work every day, but unless I'm meeting executives or important clients, I almost always opt for something with color and/or pattern.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    White dress shirt.

I wear dress shirts to work every day, but unless I'm meeting executives or important clients, I almost always opt for something with color and/or pattern.
    Interesting, do you wear ties? I like patterns and color but it does make matching ties (aka pattern on pattern overboard) harder. I love having a white dress shirt to opt to and let the tie bring the color and pattern.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    White dress shirt.

I almost never wear one. Was in a three-person meeting with a billionaire banker yesterday and didn't wear one - rather a white dress shirt with very fine blue grid check. Was debating between that shirt and a light blue solid shirt.

The last five or six times for the all-white dress shirt have been funerals/memorial services and an event with a president of a country.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Interesting, do you wear ties? I like patterns and color but it does make matching ties (aka pattern on pattern overboard) harder. I love having a white dress shirt to opt to and let the tie bring the color and pattern.
    You were asking about this to mochi123 and I'll say I don't wear ties much, but the picking ties is not hard if you avoid ties with small grid/check patterns that get close to the size of patterns on shirts. My dress shirts are all on a base of white or light blue or pint, with various small patterns on them (the pink ones are solid only). Ties are blue, green or brown. Various solids, patterns etc. and there are few problems.

I face a little more of a challenge in patterned shirts with various patterned sports jackets, but a little loudness is not as much of problem in that regard.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    888 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    I almost never wear one. Was in a three-person meeting with a billionaire banker yesterday and didn't wear one - rather a white dress shirt with very fine blue grid check. Was debating between that shirt and a light blue solid shirt.

The last five or six times for the all-white dress shirt have been funerals/memorial services and an event with a president of a country.

You were asking about this to mochi123 and I'll say I don't wear ties much, but the picking ties is not hard if you avoid ties with small grid/check patterns that get close to the size of patterns on shirts. My dress shirts are all on a base of white or light blue or pint, with various small patterns on them (the pink ones are solid only). Ties are blue, green or brown. Various solids, patterns etc. and there are few problems.

I face a little more of a challenge in patterned shirts with various patterned sports jackets, but a little loudness is not as much of problem in that regard.
    I wear blue a ton more than white, but still own a handful of white shirts. You never know when you'll need/want one, and I don't want to be caught without one clean and pressed. I agree you don't really ever "need" one, save for maybe a funeral or emergency not-quite-black-tie if you don't have a tux.

For ties, I have a couple different grenadine 'solids' that I wear with patterned shirts, which work nicely to add texture but also not be too crazy in terms of pairing with other patterns. Plenty of solid blue shirts as well for when I want a patterned tie (or bolder patterned suit/sportcoat).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I do wear ties almost every day too. But I do have a habit of getting my clothes ready the night before bed, and my fiancée also is excellent at letting my know if she thinks the shirt and tie I matched looks good or not