Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Least Worn, Mandatory Clothing Items

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Least Worn, Mandatory Clothing Items

The front page mentions of the least worn, yet mandatory black oxford shoes. Do you have such other items?

I've got:
    1. A black suit. I used to do music performances. Not anymore but once in a blue moon I take pictures for wedding and I would wear this.
    2. Black oxford shoes. To wear with the black suit. For interviews, rare special evening events, etc.
    3. Sneakers. I wear dress shoes virtually everyday. These are for picnics at the park, vacations when I have to walk a lot on nonconcrete ground.
    4. Jeans. For doing some physical, dirt-involved labor. To wear on vacations to some third world countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    The front page mentions of the least worn, yet mandatory black oxford shoes. Do you have such other items?

I've got:
    1. A black suit. I used to do music performances. Not anymore but once in a blue moon I take pictures for wedding and I would wear this.
    2. Black oxford shoes. To wear with the black suit. For interviews, rare special evening events, etc.
    3. Sneakers. I wear dress shoes virtually everyday. These are for picnics at the park, vacations when I have to walk a lot on nonconcrete ground.
    4. Jeans. For doing some physical, dirt-involved labor. To wear on vacations to some third world countries.
    I find most third world countries too warm for jeans. (Actually I don't even own any.)

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    For me, its similar as you.

1. Black oxford
    2. Black Suit

I don't tend to wear blazers either but I have like 5... man...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlstein View Post
    I find most third world countries too warm for jeans. (Actually I don't even own any.)

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
    I try not to travel to a place when the temperature is extreme. Last trip to Indonesia in September in jeans was not a problem.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    855 Post(s)
    Black cap-toe oxfords. I use my navy suit for funerals and the only reason I have the oxfords are because I was going to use those with my tux prior to finding a great deal on patent shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    +1 on the black oxfords.

I have a beautiful wool/cashmere car coat that gets very little wear in normal Texas winters. I wore it for almost 2 weeks this year! Yeah!!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    +1 on the black oxfords. I've owned mine (AE Fifth Avenue, as I'm not in a profession in which the line of brogue detail would ruffle any feathers) since July 2016 and have worn them three times.

I also don't wear plain white dress shirts very often. I do own three - one MTM from J. Hillburn that I got for my wedding three years ago, one from Charles Tyrwhitt because I wanted a French cuff shirt and thought so formal a shirt should be white, one from J. Crew because I wanted a traveler shirt for traveling - but I almost always find myself reaching for a blue (including white with blue stripes), pink, or even purple or green shirts instead for work purposes. I wear my white OCBD (BR Grant fit) more often, but even then I prefer the light-blue version of the same shirt and wear it far more often.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)
    Black oxfords
    Plain white dress shirt
    Tuxedo etc

I don't own jeans or a black suit - use a dark gray or navy suit for funerals/memorials services.

Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1681 Post(s)
    I have a tux but it gets a fair bit of use (15-20x per year for symphony concerts).

TBH I don’t even own black oxfords anymore - not black business oxfords, anyway. I’ve got some formal patent black oxfords for my tux, a cheapo pair of black derby cap toe boots from JCPenney, a pair of dressy-ish black leather chukkas, and that’s it. All my nice dress shoes are some shade of brown. Where I live here in the Rocky Mountain West, there is just no occasion that requires the use of black oxfords; a suitably conservative shoe in dark brown will always suffice.

I’d say the closest thing I own to a “mandatory” item that I wear relatively infrequently is a white dress shirt. I much prefer blue and have about 6 blue dress shirts compared to 1 white dress shirt. But I still wear that every couple weeks or so since I’m in a jacket and tie most days and do try to cycle through all the shirts I own.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post

I've got:

Walnut 5th aves. I got them on a great deal at shoebank for $99 three years or so ago but most days I find them too flashy.