Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Budget" oxfords

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

"Budget" oxfords

I am in need of a pair of black oxfords. They would not get a lot of wear so I don't want to drop $ for some AE or similar. I was thinking around $200, so my search has brought me to Jack Erwin or Beckett Simonon.

They both seem well reviewed, so for those of you with experience with them, how do they compare? One brand better than the other? Any other recommendations?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Meermin

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Meermin
    Second this. I guess there's also Jack Erwin and Beckett Simonon, but those are blake welted. Haven't actually handled either and know why that would necessarily worse though...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stylenutt View Post
    I am in need of a pair of black oxfords. They would not get a lot of wear so I don't want to drop $ for some AE or similar. I was thinking around $200, so my search has brought me to Jack Erwin or Beckett Simonon.

They both seem well reviewed, so for those of you with experience with them, how do they compare? One brand better than the other? Any other recommendations?
    The problem with Meermin is that you have to pay shipping both ways if you want to return anything. If you are in New York there's a store but I don't know if they're accepting returns there by mail. And the problem with Beckett Simonon is that you have to wait for months until you get the shoes.

If you're not going to be using them a lot you can buy cheaper as long as the leather is decent. There are a lot of decent black vintage shoes on ebay and some in thrift stores. You could do much worse than older model Florsheims, Bostonians, or Cole Haans. Make sure they're old though!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWong37 View Post
    Second this. I guess there's also Jack Erwin and Beckett Simonon, but those are blake welted. Haven't actually handled either and know why that would necessarily worse though...
    I have a couple of Blake welted shoes and the wife has a pair of Blake Rapid welted boots. They generally look sleeker than GYW because the sole can be trimmed closer. Blake Rapid is arguably better than GYW but also quite rare. I would not wear Blake welted shoes into puddles of water but other than that I haven't had a problem with mine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    195 Post(s)
    Depending on your size you can get the AE Exchange Place (which I think looks better than the standard Park Ave) for $157. Other than that Meermin was a good suggestion.

http://www.aeshoebank.com/FactorySec...DIM=D&SIZE=100

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Jack Erwin's. They have a line of GYW shoes, though the sole is clunkier than AE or even Johnston & Murphy Meltons. Velasca offers Blake Rapid stitched shoes at the same price point as Jack Erwin. I think Velasca makes a pretty good oxford and they have a good selection of black shoes.

https://www.velasca.com/collections/oxfords

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mlstein View Post
    The problem with Meermin is that you have to pay shipping both ways if you want to return anything. If you are in New York there's a store but I don't know if they're accepting returns there by mail. And the problem with Beckett Simonon is that you have to wait for months until you get the shoes.
    And this is why I was leaning towards JE or BS for the free shipping and returns. Something to consider.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    I am not impressed with the leather quality of Jack Erwin's captoe, but this is after a dozen polishings and well over 100 wears. I imagine I wouldn't care if I wore them less times.

The JE heel is decent quality, or at least the one I have is. It doesn't make that hollow "clonk" sound like cheap, leather-soled oxfords usually do. I know that is a minor thing, but I like not being all like *clonkclonkclonkclonk*.

And, I guess I am not impressed with the leather vs. $400 shoes. It's decent for $200.

This is the "joe" blake model I am referencing.
    Last edited by ianr; March 8th, 2018 at 04:13 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I am not impressed with the leather quality of Jack Erwin's captoe, but this is after a dozen polishings and well over 100 wears. I imagine I wouldn't care if I wore them less times.

The JE heel is decent quality, or at least the one I have is. It doesn't make that hollow "clonk" sound like cheap, leather-soled oxfords usually do. I know that is a minor thing, but I like not being all like *clonkclonkclonkclonk*.

And, I guess I am not impressed with the leather vs. $400 shoes. It's decent for $200.

This is the "joe" blake model I am referencing.
    Do you think that some of that might be price perception? I have two pair of AE shoes, one pair of Jack Erwin, and three pairs of Velasca shoes. Comparing them, I don't notice a demonstrable difference in the leather quality, though I admit that I am not a leather expert (and I suspect most people aren't either).

AE shoes are priced at $400, but go down into the mid to low $200s a few times a year. One of the pairs I have was on sale for $197 first quality (I got them at $245 because I didn't think they'd drop further), which tells me that AE at full sticker is an inflated price that gives the impression of higher quality.

AE is not a charity, they wouldn't offer that price if they were taking a loss on every sale. Which means they could sell at $200 or $250 and still make a profit. They sell higher because they can based on their heritage brand. They definitely make a good product and they have incredibly loyal customers. That doesn't mean places like Jack Erwin and other online shoemakers are turning out bad shoes just because they aren't AE.