Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me buy my first blazer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Help me buy my first blazer

I'm looking to buy my first blazer. Being my first, I feel going with navy is the right choice. With a budget of $150, where should I begin my search? What fabric is the best choice for all around use (semi-formal, business casual, travel) that is not difficult to maintain? Any solid offerings at local department stores or large chain mall stores?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    well this was posted today on the site:

https://dappered.com/2018/02/steal-a...rs-are-30-off/

the unconstructed will run you $124. i'm not style expert but it seems extremely well reviewed. i just picked up the legacy blazer with an additional 15% off for opening a J. Crew CC and got it for $187 before tax.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Go and buy the j crew wool blend blazer shown on the front page. Like now. Do it. You Won't find a better deal than that for a first blazer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Go and buy the j crew wool blend blazer shown on the front page. Like now. Do it. You Won't find a better deal than that for a first blazer.
    +1

I disagree with the conventional wisdom that your first blazer/sports coat should be navy, but if that's what you're going for, the J Crew wool blend at 40% off is pretty much the best deal imaginable for under $150.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    I do remember the navy blazer thread from a while back... Lol

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Navy hopsack wool is the usual suggestion. If you are not familiar with it, hopsack is a weave that appears more textured than typical "worsted wool" suiting, which is tightly woven and textureless. The hopsack wool weave allows it to breath very well (so can be worn in the summer unlike flannel, but still looks appropriate in the cooler months, unlike linen) and makes it appropriate for more casual wear, while navy lets you dress it up. A flat, smooth worsted wool is associated more with a suit and looks too formal to be worn casually IMHO. Being 100% wool it will also not wrinkle much at all and doesn't need to be dry cleaned more than once a season.

Here is a photo of a Spier & Mackay hopsack sportcoat where you should be able to see this texture.
    https://smhttp-ssl-69243.nexcesscdn..../001-4_2_2.jpg

Is navy the only colour to go with? No. I think the choice depends greatly the trousers you own. If you tend to wear a lot of blue trousers then a brown sportcoat is a great choice. However navy goes perfectly with the typical mens trouser colours of greys and browns.

Final note though...finding a 100% wool hopsack sportcoat for $150 or less might not be easy, unless you score one at a good discount. Spier & Mackay tends to produce at least one or two a season, and if they still have any older models in your size when they start blowing thing out you could get lucky. Unfortunately their hopsack sportcaots are such a staple item, they don't tend to go on sale for a price as low as their other sportcoats. This was an incredible deal (not navy, but brighter blue), but sadly out of stock.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/bright-blue-hopsack.html

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Oh, also a consideration is the construction. A softer shoulder allows you to wear it more casually and looks less formal. Like this first one in this article. Mall brands tend to have more padded shoulders, as it's difficult to execute a soft shoulder using less expensive production means.

http://www.businessinsider.com/there...ut-them-2015-4

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    My first post was deleted but there was a post a few days ago with a made in US Navy hopsack sportcoat for $130. Try this link. If it doesn't work try go back a page on the form and look for the post.

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...portcoats-Sale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    +1

I disagree with the conventional wisdom that your first blazer/sports coat should be navy, but if that's what you're going for, the J Crew wool blend at 40% off is pretty much the best deal imaginable for under $150.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Order has been placed.

Now I'm looking for a secondary blazer! In a gray or brown type color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    As Spex noted above, it depends on the color of trousers you generally wear. Personally, I end up wearing my brown/gray sports coats a lot more than my navy.

If you're in a warm (summer) climate, I think that the J Crew cotton/linen unstructured sport coats are a pretty good deal. My experience when buying my first few sports coats (over the last year or two) was that it was rather difficult to find anything in brown in the more affordable brands like J Crew/BR, and I wasn't quite ready to spend $250+ on a nicer brand. So you may find more options in grey depending on your budget.

I also like the J Crew sports coat in question because it's unstructured which, again as Spex noted above, makes it versatile enough to wear casually.