Thread: Shoe repair and salt protection/care in Minneapolis

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)

Shoe repair and salt protection/care in Minneapolis

I'm need of a good cobbler in Minneapolis. Any suggestions?

Also, I've got a pair of Wolverine boots and want to protect them from the salt. What do you guys do for your leather shoes generally in cold climates? 5 years in California didn't pose this problem.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    628 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post

Also, I've got a pair of Wolverine boots and want to protect them from the salt. What do you guys do for your leather shoes generally in cold climates? 5 years in California didn't pose this problem.
    keep them freshly waxed.

if they see a good amount of water on the leather, or get any salt on the uppers at any time, use clean water to clean them off, dry them, and re-wax them.

Despite that, the fact is that even heavy pair of mens fashion boots ultimately are not good winter snow boots. if you live in Minneapolis now, you should buy some more specific snow boots that are specific to snow going. LL Bean 'Bean boots', Sorrel, etc...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

If they're full grain leather cleaning with saddle soap isn't a bad idea in between waxes. If they are casual boots (and Wolverines usually are) beating them up or getting them a little dirty isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway. If they soak through repeatedly and often that will do bad things to the durability of the leather though.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Brushing and wiping clean with water. If they get salt on them, a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and warm water to wipe down boot would be first step followed by conditioner.

If only use saddle soap sparingly. It's a pretty harsh cleaner.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Haven't used them myself but I think Bob's Shoe Repair in the 50th & France area is one of the go-to places around here. You could also call one of the local men's shops (Hubert White or Heimie's Haberdashery) and ask them for recommendations perhaps? Anthony at Heimie's has a background in leatherworking if I recall correctly and would probably have some thoughts for you.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”