Thread: Anyone ride a motorcycle?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Anyone ride a motorcycle?

I would like to commute to work on two wheels but currently that involves changing at work as riding gear (typically boots, jeans, and leather or riding jacket) and business casual don't often mix. Anyone else ride and have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
    I would like to commute to work on two wheels but currently that involves changing at work as riding gear (typically boots, jeans, and leather or riding jacket) and business casual don't often mix. Anyone else ride and have any suggestions?
    i do it. my advice if your commute is long enough (<20 min maybe?) is just to have a change of clothes ready at work.

Most of my best work clothes obviously do not perform well as motorcycling wear, but not everyone wants to spend 10 min changing their outfit every time they get somewhere, so i'd suggest a sliding scale for convenience's sake.

You can kind of being some stuff that can do dual duty a little bit, depending how formal your work place is.

You can, for example, probably wear thick chinos on your motorcycle. Maybe some more-sturdy fashion boots like the 1000 mile boots. You probably want to do your real riding jacket with the pads anyways. I wouldn't leave that out.

I can give you some better recommendations but i've gotta write it up when i get home from work.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    My place of work isn't terribly formal and my commute is short. I typically will wear dark jeans, wolverine apache boots, and a polo on days I ride in and no one blinks an eye.

I'd love to hear more suggestions though. Also, if someone has a riding jacket recommendation? I've lost a bunch of weight and am in the marketfor something new.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I rode a motorcycle 30 miles each way every day on the SF peninsula through the heart of the first dot com boom. I had an armored cordura full suit that I wore over street clothes. Worked great and you can wear practically whatever you want underneath. I had riding boots and carried street shoes with me. Check out Aerostitch for the best suits...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    My place of work isn't terribly formal and my commute is short. I typically will wear dark jeans, wolverine apache boots, and a polo on days I ride in and no one blinks an eye.

I'd love to hear more suggestions though. Also, if someone has a riding jacket recommendation? I've lost a bunch of weight and am in the marketfor something new.
    if you live in Massachusetts go down to VANSON LEATHERS in Fall River.

for $400-500 you can get a leather jacket that is just the height of leather as an industrial art. Super beautiful jackets. Beautiful craftsmanship, and immence levels of quality. The majority of the ones they have are made in the USA.

They also have a little museum in the factory store, with maybe 30 or so old race suits of amazing motorcyclists of yore. It's quite a place, and clearly owned and run by a group of really wonderful people who absolutely love motorcycles.

Something like this would do you well for the rest of your life, instead of a season like the coats made by the consumer-type motorcycle fashion brands.

Last edited by evanparker; February 28th, 2018 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    the other solution is that you buy an over-suit, like this Aerostitch Roadcrafter, which can be near but not for everyone I guess. I used to love mine.