Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suits for a gentleman of (ahem) larger stature

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Suits for a gentleman of (ahem) larger stature

So I'm not gonna lie, I could stand to lose a few, and by a few, I mean more than a few. But in the medium term, I could use a suit that fits (I have a couple that fit, but they are beat to hell, and one in good shape that is probably 2 sizes too small at the moment). The rub is, pretty much all the suit deals I see posted are 1. Slim Fit and 2. Don't come bigger than about a 46. I'm at least a 48, possibly more like a 50. What should I be looking at? I'd like to keep it under say 400 bucks, possibly well under.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Suitsupply goes up to 50 and the Napoli is a fairly generous cut, but that’s right up against your price range before taxes and tailoring. Certain department stores (e.g. Nordstrom) carry decent suits in big/tall sizes, but you’ll have to get lucky with a sale and even then they probably won’t dip significantly below Suitsupply’s price point, if at all.

Jos A Bank / Men’s Wearhouse have a number of sizes for larger individuals. The quality won’t necessarily be great, but for under $400 and given the size limitations that might be your best bet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Indochino might be a reasonable choice. Some people don't like them from a cost/quality perspective and sometimes due to fit vs. other MTM options. But, they will make whatever size you need.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips. I actually will be in chicago next month for work and might have to make an appointment at the indochino showroom for a fitting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Banana Republic carries larger sizes now, and some suits of surprisingly good quality and an even better value when on sale. But before you invest in suits, giving low-carb and intermittent fasting a go. No grains/flour, sugar, or veggie oils, but all the above-ground veggies, eggs/meat/fish you want, within an 8 hour eating window each day. Once your body adjusts, it is easy, feels entirely natural (because it is), and it works for most people.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2034 Post(s)
    Brooks Brothers would probably be the go-to for both quality and a wider range of sizes/fits for bigger men. But they are pretty pricey at retail so you would want to keep your eyes peeled for good sales/discounts, as well as scoping out eBay for pre-owned. You will want to get some familiarity with the measurements of the garment you would need so you can buy with more confidence on eBay.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sky7i View Post
    Banana Republic carries larger sizes now, and some suits of surprisingly good quality and an even better value when on sale. But before you invest in suits, giving low-carb and intermittent fasting a go. No grains/flour, sugar, or veggie oils, but all the above-ground veggies, eggs/meat/fish you want, within an 8 hour eating window each day. Once your body adjusts, it is easy, feels entirely natural (because it is), and it works for most people.
    Yeah, im just looking for one as a stopgap. Iíve been sedentary all winter and kind of packed it on. I figure once I start running again, and make some diet tweaks, I should drop about a size in short order.

That said, in my adult life, Iíve never been smaller than a 46. Even when Iím way fitter than I am now, Iím built on a big frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2034 Post(s)
    If you're just looking for something to tide you over until you've reached your fitness goals then something from JAB or MW with a bit of tailoring might be your best option. Stick to a basic navy or charcoal with a little bit of texture or a very subtle pattern so you can take advantage of maximum versatility.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My broad brethren! I too have struggled with finding a suit that fits. I'm naturally broad across the chest and have freakishly long arms (per my tailor). I've had luck with the 50R from Suit Supply but had to get significant alterations made to the pants using extra fabric. It's by far my most complimented suit. I also have an Alfani, of which I'm not super proud. I'm considering an Oliver Wicks since Indochino only has thin lapels.

Good luck on your journey and let us know what you get.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks guys! This is a big help. Its' frustrating, because as a big guy settling into middle age, I try to dress better so as not to look dumpy (I'll never be able to pull off the hollywood ripped jeans and a T shirt yet still dressed up look, though I do wear Ts and Jeans sometimes), but it's really challenging, as I'm often butting up against the ends of sizing for the more stylish looking things.