Thread: Half-Canvassed Suits & Sportcoats Sale

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Half-Canvassed Suits & Sportcoats Sale

I've been aware of Haspel for a while due to their status as the original creators of the seersucker suit, but recently they've been running a sale that's caught my eye. Many of their half-canvassed quarter-lined seersucker suits are on sale for ~$190 at the moment, as well as a bunch of sportcoats. Now here's my quandary: I have yet to own a navy blazer, and they have a navy hopsack for sale that's in my price range....but they also have a grey seersucker suit within my price range, and not only is it a seersucker suit, but it's from Haspel & it's half-canvassed, slim fit, and quarter lined. I do own a navy cotton blazer that could serve as a navy sportcoat, and a navy suit for all of my current formal needs. Pulling the trigger is a tough call, any wise words from you menswear gurus? My style typically leans trad & southern so the suit would fit right in, but the fact that it's final sale is also killin' me....

https://www.haspel.com/collections/s...s/navy-hopsack

https://www.haspel.com/collections/s...cker-sportcoat
    https://www.haspel.com/collections/s...nt=44339577493

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I really like seersucker but it’s hard to envision not getting more use out of a navy blazer. I’d buy the blazer first.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I probably wear my seersucker suit about 1-4 times a year. But a blazer? Couldn't count. Then again, I'm way up North. Also, I'm personally not a fan of the beige/gray seersucker.

Quick question though...How do you know they are half canvassed? I don't see any mention of that on the page or where I poked around. Pretty cheap for half canvas if that is the case.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kastism View Post
    Quick question though...How do you know they are half canvassed? I don't see any mention of that on the page or where I poked around. Pretty cheap for half canvas if that is the case.
    Look under “fabric” tab; one of the bullets says “Half canvas construction.”

@Pelennor: if you know your measurements, you could alleviate your final purchase angst by calling Haspel. I would round up, personally, for a seersucker jacket/suit...no desire to be formfitting in hot weather wear.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Also worth noting is that most of the web comments are from a few years ago, when the name was basically just a shell for a larger corporation. In 2014 the family of the founder bought the firm back and has been producing everything in the US rather than outsourcing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on a brown hopsack blazer, it's something I've been looking for. Going to go with my Suit Supply size which usually only needs to be brought in slightly and cross my fingers.