Thread: Packaging Sport Coats For Shipping

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Packaging Sport Coats For Shipping

Due to some recent gains in the gym, I have some sport coats that no longer fit in the chest (damn bench press and pull ups).

Iím considering putting them up for sale, but Iíve never sold tailored clothing before. Is there a generally accepted way to package them up?
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Fold up (YouTube it), wrap in paper, ideally put in plastic wrapper to prevent water exposure, and put in an Amazon box. This will make shipping a bit more costly, but pass the cost to the buyer, with the understanding that you provide good care. This works if you are planning to sell for $80+.

Now if you are planning to sale for $30 per item, then a $15 packing/shipping cost doesn't make sense and in that case I would just fold it up and put in prepaid envelope.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    i sell on ebay a lot, and when i ship sportcoats I try to give the buyers two options.

One, i just stick it in a plastic bag mailer with self-adhesive flap and ship it first class. cheap, as light as possible, and it probably gets folded up a little but usually I sell durable sportcoats like tweeds and USA made stuff so it's going to do fine. worst that could happen is a few wrinkles maybe,and in wool that will shake out after a bit of hanging on a hanger. Sometimes i'll include a piece of cardboard in there to give it a little structure. I ship it in a bag like this.

The 2nd option I fold them up nicely, and include a piece of cardboard, and maybe some tissue paper to give it some structure. I usually put it in a 1097 Priority mail box . It gets there a lot faster, and I have a lot more security in the coat getting there in one piece.

The first one usually costs me about $10-15 to ship. the 2nd usually costs me $20-25 to ship. If i give people the option, usually they pick the less expansive one. I say that in the auction that it's on them if it's wrinkled.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    Thanks all. These run the gamut from cheap (Uniqlo) to very, very nice (Peter Millar).

Going to see what a cut does, but if you’re a 36s, some stuff might be available soon.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell