Thread: Saphir recolorant - anyone with experience?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Saphir recolorant - anyone with experience?

Anyone have experience with this product?

I have a pair of AE walnut strands with a huge gouge/gash on the toe. Not sure how I did it, but I gouged them pretty good. Unfortunately I cut the piece of leather off before I read how to repair.

Was wondering if anyone has had experience using this product.

It definitely can't be correct by normal means (brushing, Saphir rejuvenateur, color polish, etc)

I need something to "fill" in the gouge first.

I'll post pics later today.

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Anyone have experience with this product?

I have a pair of AE walnut strands with a huge gouge/gash on the toe. Not sure how I did it, but I gouged them pretty good. Unfortunately I cut the piece of leather off before I read how to repair.

Was wondering if anyone has had experience using this product.

It definitely can't be correct by normal means (brushing, Saphir rejuvenateur, color polish, etc)

I need something to "fill" in the gouge first.

I'll post pics later today.

Thanks!
    I’m not familiar with the product but I’d tell you take your shoes to the best cobbler in town and ask him to fix them. I’ve done the same thing, and my cobbler has made miracles happen. It won’t be perfect, but they can make them darn close.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    It works fine in my experience. I have only used black. I mostly have used it for fixing scrapes on heels, not toes.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Iím not familiar with the product but Iíd tell you take your shoes to the best cobbler in town and ask him to fix them. Iíve done the same thing, and my cobbler has made miracles happen. It wonít be perfect, but they can make them darn close.
    I've been very impressed with the Saphir shoe polishes, so if the recolorant is anywhere near as good, it will be good.

That said, to echo what MIS997 wrote, if you have a good cobbler, I suggest taking them there. My cobbler figured out how to save some part-snakeskin, part-leather shoes I have, when I was ready to toss them because a chunk of the snakeskin came off. Not exactly sure how to explain what he did, but it looks good.

Also, he took some grey boots I had and made them black. Nobody can tell and all the scuffs are invisible now.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    thanks for the feedback. while I live in a decent sized town, there is only one cobbler and he's an old school guy, decent quality but I've asked him about repair and said there wasn't much he could do.

After reading a bunch on r/goodyearwelt about different issues, the saphir recolorant seems like a good bet to go. I'll let everyone know how it goes.