Thread: Air Travel overnight bag

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Air Travel overnight bag

Hey guys - My travel for work has shifted from being 3-4 day trips to 1-2 day trips (still mostly by air). My old wheeled suitcase is overkill for 1-2 day trips so I have been using a duffel bag but I need to bring my computer and folio as well. I have been carrying my duffle and a separate briefcase for the laptop but that has been too much to lug around the airport. Anybody know of a lightweight duffle bag, that would be a good size to fit a suit into and have some sort of compartment for the laptop?? A lot to ask I know, or how do you guys travel. I have never used a backpack, seems to me that would be hard on a suit but maybe I am wrong? Thanks for any help. Joe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I use the Atlantic Unite bag for 1-2 days. If 1-2 nights it holds suit, shirt or two, toiletries, undies/socks, and computer and tablet. If 3 nights I can carry this plus my laptop bag. Over that I go to the full roller suitcase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joekloo View Post
    Hey guys - My travel for work has shifted from being 3-4 day trips to 1-2 day trips (still mostly by air). My old wheeled suitcase is overkill for 1-2 day trips so I have been using a duffel bag but I need to bring my computer and folio as well. I have been carrying my duffle and a separate briefcase for the laptop but that has been too much to lug around the airport. Anybody know of a lightweight duffle bag, that would be a good size to fit a suit into and have some sort of compartment for the laptop?? A lot to ask I know, or how do you guys travel. I have never used a backpack, seems to me that would be hard on a suit but maybe I am wrong? Thanks for any help. Joe
    Joe, with all due respect, I can't imagine a duffel being appropriate for business travel or suit storage. I do love a good duffel, but I limit use to weekender-type trips.

The standard for business travel is the Briggs and Riley upright. Pricey, never on sale but has a laptop slot, is expandable and has an excellent storage system for suits. Have used it for single day trips and as much as six nights with multiple suits. Made of the same material as Wolverine's claws. Changed the way I travel. Fits into most every overhead bins save for some small regional jets. Additionally, going into a business meeting with a suitcase in tow is fully acceptable, whereas a duffel makes it seem like you are muling drugs or disposing of body parts.

Just my $0.02.

https://www.briggs-riley.com/baselin...rment-bag-u175

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Air Travel overnight bag

I agree 100%. If you can’t swing the Briggs and Riley then get something else on wheels that fits in the overhead bin. Silver hard/soft sided bags that look like Rimowa are a nice alternative. I have a Kenneth Cole one that has been around the world a few times. Anything non-black but still conservative is helpful for the time you do check it.

ETA - I had a Briggs and Riley with a couple of hundred thousand miles on it and they still fixed the broken zipper for free. If you live in a big city, service should be easy to find if you do need it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    Porter makes a huge number of awesome bags that usually include all kinds of storage pockets. I would suspect one of their garment bags would also be able to house a laptop.

https://www.yoshidakaban.com/product...type=03&p_ec=1

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
    I agree 100%. If you can’t swing the Briggs and Riley then get something else on wheels that fits in the overhead bin. Silver hard/soft sided bags that look like Rimowa are a nice alternative. I have a Kenneth Cole one that has been around the world a few times. Anything non-black but still conservative is helpful for the time you do check it.

ETA - I had a Briggs and Riley with a couple of hundred thousand miles on it and they still fixed the broken zipper for free. If you live in a big city, service should be easy to find if you do need it.
    Briggs and Riley is spendy, I would mention some airlines/loyalty programs offer it among their merchandise you can use points on. There are cheaper substitutes with the same features.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Additionally, going into a business meeting with a suitcase in tow is fully acceptable, whereas a duffel makes it seem like you are muling drugs or disposing of body parts.

Just my $0.02.

That is hilariously awesome!!! You get $0.04 for that comment.

And thanks to all for the comments. Now that I am turning 50 carrying a duffle around the airports is getting tiring anyway so I can use the "old man" has to have the wheeled luggage as the excuse when my travel companions give me grief for packing too much for a 2 day trip. Thanks, Joe

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Get 4 wheels not 2.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
    Get 4 wheels not 2.
    +1 on the 4 wheels, and I travel almost weekly.

Though, I do like the garment bag aspect of the Briggs and Riley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    be warned, this is some good stuff here. http://www.masconleather.com/