Thread: SuitSupply's Social Media Ads

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)

SuitSupply's Social Media Ads

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...77897195574994

SuitSupply is taking some ad risks on Facebook and Instagram by showing gay couples in their newest ads. I'm indifferent to the ads themselves. They don't make me any more or less likely to buy from them; the reaction is interesting, if not predictable.

The comments section is predictably horrifying, with guys pronouncing that they will never shop there and that PC culture is awful. I have many thoughts, but mostly amusement at the idea of tough guys that call others snowflakes but are easily triggered by seeing something they dislike.

I also don't think SuitSupply is being "politically correct" (a term so misused that it has almost not meaning) in their ads. I would argue that they're being politically incorrect because there are still a lot of vocal anti-LGBT proponents in American society. Which brings another point, SuitSupply is not a distinctly American company, right? So why assume their marketing is designed to stoke flames within American consumers?

Anyway, I'm curious what you guys think about SuitSupply's ad campaign. If it bothers you, would you mind explaining why? I'm genuinely curious as to why it matters.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)
    If SS were aiming to be politically correct they would be posting pictures of nice middle-aged gay couples with multiracial adopted children and a golden retriever, smiling and holding hands in front of their beautifully manicured suburban lawn with a Subaru in the driveway.

Showing hot dudes making out is not PC.

SS is doing the same thing they've always done - pushing people's buttons to get free clicks. If anything this particular campaign is a lot more tame and a lot less explicit than previous campaigns they've done.
    Ben

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I have long found SS's ad campaigns pointlessly provocative in a way that detracts from their quality products and service. I'm not offended by the current campaign in the way that I was offended by past campaigns that objectified women. I'm just not convinced by the strategy. Yes, the ad campaign will drive clicks and awareness. But I'm not sure that it will create new customers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    515 Post(s)
    I definitely noticed it this AM on Twitter as if to see is that what I think it is. Doesn’t really change my mind on suit supply. Doesn’t make me more or less likely to buy from them. As @goodwillhinton explained I’m not fond of their overall approach. I don’t think it does them a service and I did caveat when recommending stuff to people last year based on their ad campaign.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    654 Post(s)
    i'm sure suit supply appreciates the free buzz you're giving them by making this thread :-D

I like the guys kissing. it's a good sign for the companies, in these horriblest of horrible days.

I would make more of an effort to buy from them just knowing what side their marketing seems to think they're on. It might be a shallow liberal dog whistle, but it's not a bad one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i'm sure suit supply appreciates the free buzz you're giving them by making this thread :-D

I like the guys kissing. it's a good sign for the companies, in these horriblest of horrible days.

I would make more of an effort to buy from them just knowing what side their marketing seems to think they're on. It might be a shallow liberal dog whistle, but it's not a bad one.
    Ha! As if SuitSupply needed my help getting exposure on menswear forums.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    654 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    Ha! As if SuitSupply needed my help getting exposure on menswear forums.
    if you say betelgeuse enough times...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Wasnt it SuitSupply Outlet, when it first popped up a few years back, had naked women in a swimming pool, with guys in suits surrounding them, or something to that effect? lol Edgy!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    597 Post(s)
    They certainly don't limit themselves to one form of sexual expression, do they?

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/...-russian-store

[Deleted image]
    Last edited by hornsup84; February 21st, 2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Image removed to protect NSFW users

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    386 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    They certainly don't limit themselves to one form of sexual expression, do they?

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/...-russian-store
    Aw cmon man nsfw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hornsup84; February 21st, 2018 at 06:18 PM.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft