Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite lost item?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Favourite lost item?

Five years ago my house was broken into. Several things were stolen. But the thing I missed the most was an Omega Seamaster Professional, circa late 2000s watch. My future wife gave it to me as a gift after we got engaged. It had some sentimental value.

It was insured. What I got back I put towards my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Also, my white LL bean T shirt that I forgot at a hotel (it got tangled up in the sheets). It was like brand new, and I like their Ts a lot. Fortunately, it had no sentimental value and was only about 25 bucks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    301 Post(s)
    I lose my sunglasses more often than I care to admit. One time I lost my Ray-Ban wayfarers and being a light eyed guy my eyes burn in the sun without some shades. Went a week looking for them to no avail, caved and purchased a replacement pair, one month after that they turned up in my brothers camping gear.

Most recently lost my Ray-Ban Caravan's. Don't think I'll be finding them anytime soon as I was out of state when I realized I had lost them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I had a pair of really cool retro Rodenstck eyeglass frames that I left in a rental car (complicated story). Of course Rodenstock discontinued them so I can’t replace them ...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    I lost a bunch is shoes in a flood recently. I really miss the Acheson suede loafers and they are no longer made. I replaced them with a different pair from Herring shoes, but the personality just isn’t the same.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    It was the seventies, I was in college, leisure suits were a thing, I got one for Christmas, it was New Years Eve.

Yep, my ownership of a leisure suit barely lasted a week. I went to a New Years Eve party that my brother's fraternity put on, and I came back to the apartment without the jacket. I wasn't even drunk. We tried to find it the next day, it never turned up. In hindsight the gods were smiling down on me.

A few years later my mom made me a navy blue down filled vest, another Christmas present. I went to a party in the party room of my apartment complex. We were saying goodbye to the seventies. I drank a little bit more, and went out with the caretaker of the apartment, and a few of the other guests. The next morning my headache was evidence of our carousing, as was the absence of my down vest.

This time the vest was in the caretaker's apartment. Again the gods were smiling down on me. A navy blue down vest is a much better wardrobe piece than a green leisure jacket. It still fits me, and is worn every few years. It is one of three pieces I have from the 80's that I can wear today. It, a Hudson Bay Blanket parka, and a yellow Girbaud sweater all remind me of specific moments, so they survive the purge.

If I hadn't lost that leisure jacket, It would have been purged long ago.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Lost a Gottman Wool Driving Cap similar to https://www.sierratradingpost.com/go...x-driving-cap/ and https://www.sierratradingpost.com/go...52157/reviews/

Lost the first one, so I replaced. The second ended up falling of the armrest at the movie theater (at some point during the movie) and I just didn't trust it after that (the theater had been in the news a year before for bedbugs...but it's NYC, so many places have had them). Plus it was on a Sunday when the local cleaners around my apartment are closed, or else I would have dropped it off right away. Too bad it looks like Sierra Trading Post no longer carries the brand.

Wore it as a 3 season hat. Even though I know not everyone is a fan of the style, I definitely prefer it to a beanie hat.

Not stylish, but I had a Westcomb Mojave softshell https://www.outsideonline.com/193419...shells-reviews
    This replaced pretty much all sweatshirts, fleece, and sweaters. Pretty much considered it my mithril jacket. Not sure if I lost it when my basement flooded or my sister tossed it, saying it looked ratty. The color was Cloud, so I thought it looked neutral.

Various umbrellas. One I left at the gym and didn't remember until I was already on the bus home. Another I had left in the common foyer of my apartment building to dry while open (one of the things I learned from an umbrella store is to never store when wet, but my apartment is too small/hardwood floors to leave an umbrella open).

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)
    During college, at a sorority formal, I had a guy accidentally take my rented tux jacket thinking it was his. That was a painful process to find/get back, particularly because my date paid for my rental (all dates got their attire rented for them). Obviously not ideal, especially given that I had to wear rental vs. my own tux at the time (although maybe good because I didn't lose my jacket).

Also from college, the piece that I've lost that I miss the most is a few pairs of high school lacrosse shorts. These got lost through college to various lady friends, being mixed up in the laundry room, etc. But old school broken in mesh lax shorts are some of the best lounge wear ever, and they had sentimental value. I had a few of my HS team's, but also had some that I had traded for at lax camp over the years from other schools, etc.

Reading after typing, this makes me sound hilariously fratty. Guess I was a mini-hardo back then.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    I realized this yesterday that I lost my Bonobos foundation trousers in khaki. No sentimental value, but they're $150-160 when not on sale, and they are currently sold out and the closest thing on the website is $200. They're a staple in my rotation at work. I guess I lost them during the move into my new house 2 months ago (I left for 6 weeks immediately after the move, and our temp offices during work trips are very casual, so I didn't notice until I got home and they weren't in my closet).