Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Groomsmen gift ideas ~100$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Groomsmen gift ideas ~100$

Hello - I am getting married June 2nd. I have three groomsmen and wanted to get them a nice gift for around 100.

None of them are really into vices (cigar/whiskey/beer/etc..) and I wanted to get something they would actually use.

A pocket knife? meh....cool for a while and then ends up in the drawer.

A watch? hmm, likely, but they'd use it until a battery died and then it would end up in the drawer.

Kind of at a loss!

Thank you for any tips.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    I did a different gift for every guy based on their traits. My college buddies got a university pint glass and some other stuff, my brother loves knives so he got a nice personalized one, etc.

Personally I love the pocket knives I've received. They get a lot of use (especially the swiss army one) and I think about them often when using.

Some other ideas: tie bars, maybe a nice leather wallet, a nice razor/shaving set, sunglasses given a June wedding?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I gave my best man a pair of Ray-Ban Aviators because he's a (hobbyist) pilot and does tend to wear nicer sunglasses. Something personal is definitely good. Something useful is even better.

I would steer clear of anything engraved. In my experience most engraved gifts are really just a vehicle for the engraving and not that great in their own right. Subtle engraving inside a watch? Sure, that seems reasonable. Big "Best Man 2018" on the front of a flask? Not so much.

Another idea would be to buy an experience instead of a physical gift. What can you do with $100/person?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    I think that the best idea is a personalized gift, based on the interests of the particular person.

As far as engraving goes, I agree with dpark. I mean of course they are going to remember what they got the gift for. Just like you don't want your wedding gifts to be engraved with bride and groom 2018.

A message on the inside or a quote would be good, but it has to be good. Something with the theme friendship rather than your wedding.

As far as consumables go, you could get some fancy meat or something.

As far as a watch goes, you could get an automatic dress watch. Even if they only use it for special occasions it would still last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I did a different gift for every guy based on their traits. My college buddies got a university pint glass and some other stuff, my brother loves knives so he got a nice personalized one, etc.

Personally I love the pocket knives I've received. They get a lot of use (especially the swiss army one) and I think about them often when using.

Some other ideas: tie bars, maybe a nice leather wallet, a nice razor/shaving set, sunglasses given a June wedding?
    Excellent ideas everyone - thank you. I'm thinking either a Timex Expedition or a Bellroy wallet, or both.

Watch and a wallet, together will be a little over budget, but should be pretty cool? I'd be super happy with even one of them!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Everyone’s different and you know your guys better but personally if I got a cheap watch it would sit in a drawer or given away to someone that might need one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I would steer clear of the watch unless you've changed your mind about not wanting it to just sit in a drawer. If someone bought me a watch, I'd honestly just return it if I had a receipt. If not, it would sit in a drawer literally unused. I have no desire to wear a watch again, and I'm not alone in this. Many people have completely stopped wearing watches now that they are essentially carrying a pocket watch all the time.

If you happen to have friends who are into watches and you think they'd wear the expedition, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd do something else. The Bellroy wallet holds a lot more promise. Wallets are pretty personal (I use a pretty minimal wallet while many men carry a bi or even tri-fold wallet), but the chances that each groomsman will like the wallet seem much better, and the Bellroy wallets look like a premium product.

I wouldn't throw in the watch with the wallet, either, especially since it stretches your budget. More isn't necessarily better. Throwing a $35 watch in with the $90 wallet honestly seems to cheapen the gift a little. It feels more like you didn't know what to get. Either save the money or put it toward a nicer version of the wallet if that's what you're getting them.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    If you want to get the same one for everyone then I would lean towards a wallet over a watch. I know a lot of people that dont wear watches and the ones that do are a little picky, myself included. Wallets are more forgiving. A valet tray is a decent idea too. If your buddies are working professionals, consider a nice pen as well. I love knives so I would be super excited about a knife. The only groomsman gift I still have is a small multitool that I keep in my watch tool bag. Ih ave had it for like...17 years now I think. If you get into personalized things, I can think of plenty of $100 or less items that I love. a wet shaivng starter kit, a half decent day pack, a casual messenger bag, yeti style cups, ratcheting wrench set, decent quality headphones, an Amazon echo, a good quality flashlight.

If I got an Olight s1a flashlight (~$40) and a Kershaw Link knife (~40) packaged in a leather valet tray like this (~15) I would kiss you at the alter. But I carry a knife everyday and have 11 flashlights so I am weird. There are tons of classier folding knife options out t here for $20-60 as well. I tend to think that knives are one of those things people never use until hey do, then they love having one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    Not a watch! I'm sure not everyone would find it just right and would probably not wear it or, yes, even sell it. I personally wouldn't be happy to get a watch, but I guess I'm pretty picky in regards to watches. Perhaps a really nice leather toiletries bag? I bet no guy has one (or at least a nice one) and would like it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I love the idea of a knife if you're talking about a nice kitchen knife. Most people have terrible kitchen knives and a $100 japanese chef's knife would be a huge step up in quality and something they'd likely use. Buy stainless, though. Most people will not want to deal with carbon steel.

You also do not have to buy everyone the same gift. You should spend roughly the same on each groomsman (could spend more on best man if you choose to), but there is no reason you need to buy everyone the same gift if you have better ideas for them individually. Obviously don't do something personal for half your groomsmen and give the other half something generic though. Everybody gets a personal gift or everyone gets the same gift.

I also like @idvsego's suggestion of tools if your groomsmen are younger and not likely to already have a lot of tools. A multitool can be a little gimmicky so make sure you buy something nice. (I have one that the wooden scales fell off of, which is not exactly a great gift experience.) A socket wrench set or similar is probably a little easier, especially if you buy one or two steps up from the basic set. I'd steer clear of power tools (e.g. drill/driver combo), because while they could be nice, the batteries could also die before they ever get used, and getting one essentially locks you into a particular brand and battery system.
    Last edited by dpark; December 28th, 2017 at 12:12 PM.