Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partner wants something unstylish - what do you?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Just buy the ugly dress.
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I put the way my wife beams at me when she is thrilled by something high above any fashion. And I think it serves us well.
    I think the above sentiments would be very good advice to anyone new to a relationship they hope to last a long time.

My wife LOVES costume jewelry. I'm not really a fan, but if it makes her happy, fantastic. Unless something is simply unaffordable or will be obviously and laughably unflattering, follow the above counsel.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    271 Post(s)
    Quality and style are different. There's no accounting for taste, but it were a quality issue, I would say something and offer an alternative that was a better value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1011 Post(s)
    @theplayerking and that is part of the battle. What my spouse has her eye on is not (in my opinion anyway) quality. And of course it doesn't help that it is something I'm not in favour of style wise.

The end result/plan is that I can't bring myself to purchase said item. It is a) expensive and b) not of very good quality for what she wants. I did though end up settling on a very stylish item that I know will catch her off guard and that I'm confident she'll like. But it is good to know/read how others have dealt with this type of quandary in the past.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    869 Post(s)
    I just buy it. I dont want her telling me what to wear, why would I tell her? Now if it were a $700 Fossil, I would tell her those usually go for XX money but would get it if she still really wanted it. I would pint out quality issues as well, but again, would buy it if she really wanted it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @theplayerking and that is part of the battle. What my spouse has her eye on is not (in my opinion anyway) quality.
    This is tough. We're all conditioned here at Dappered to buy quality items, made of quality fabrics (wool, cotton, nylon, etc.) whereas most women (in my experience) don't even look at the fabric content. Add to that: it seems that many/most women's items tend to be made of polyester or some such other unfortunate material. If they're made of better fabrics, they tend to jump in price exponentially.