Thread: J Crew Ludlow Dress Shirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

J Crew Ludlow Dress Shirt

Has anyone had experience with the new version of these with the exact sleeve and neck measurements?

I just saw and felt them in-person yesterday but was too rushed to try one on. Seemed fairly good from a quality perspective.

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Pretty good. Their website shows what the old letter sizing is to new numeric sizing, so you can use that as a reference.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I stopped into the J.Crew store near me this weekend and they had a deal for 50% off your first shirt. That came down to $34, so I snatched one up and I am wearing it today. Overall, I agree with the main site review. They are nice but a little bit roomier than my CT slim fit shirts. I do like the CT shirts a bit better for this reason. If I can find them for this price again, I wouldn't hesitate but any higher and I'll just stick to my CT shirts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoonguy View Post
    I stopped into the J.Crew store near me this weekend and they had a deal for 50% off your first shirt. That came down to $34, so I snatched one up and I am wearing it today. Overall, I agree with the main site review. They are nice but a little bit roomier than my CT slim fit shirts. I do like the CT shirts a bit better for this reason. If I can find them for this price again, I wouldn't hesitate but any higher and I'll just stick to my CT shirts.
    The CT's are too slim for my chest (*sigh*) but the jcrews are roomier in the torso too. Since i cant wear the CT's, the JCrews are at least an option but Im leaning SM M2M. My first shirt comes in today

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    I tried CT but didn't love their shirts....couldn't get a good fit and fabric that I liked but that was probably about 2 years ago.

I think the JCrew will be a good option for an easily available modern dress shirt like the main site review said, at <$50 or in a bundle deal. To have it fit will off the rack well (I am the same size of the reviewer) and to have the sleeve lengths broken up individually instead of 32/33 etc. is a huge plus for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    I picked up two of these yesterday (one is the blue micro stripe, the other is the lavender micro check). I like the material and the feel, but I concur with what's said above and in many of the reviews on the J. Crew website that the sizing is huge. My best-fitting off the rack shirt is a 15.75 from SuitSupply, but as most places don't do 15.75, I have a range of 16s and 15.5s. Lately, perhaps due to vanity sizing becoming increasingly popular, I've been buying 15.5s most of the time. My sleeve length is 34.

Anyway, I tried on a Brooks Brothers 15.5/34 Milano and the fit was good. (15.5/34 Regent way too baggy around the arms and the sides). But the slim-fit Ludlow in 15.5/34 was enormous on me. The big problem was around the neck. There was a ton of space there. Around the body, it was a bit too big but not terrible. Anyway, I sized down to 15/34 and it fits fine. There's still room for two fingers to fit. I have never worn a 15 inch shirt in my life before. Most of the time, I've worn 16 inch collars, and back in my deep, dark past, often 16.5 (those were too big, though). I would not have expected J. Crew sizing to be less slim than Brooks Brothers, even Brooks Brothers' slimmest fit, but it is.

I think they must have mis-sized the neck proportions. Other than that, it's okay. Although, even then, the 15.5 was slightly less slim overall than the Brooks Brothers' Milano in the same size.

All in all, I'd say the new J. Crew shirts are worth a shot, but be prepared for the likelihood of having to size way down. I would even go as far as to say that the 15/34 is slightly less trim than the old medium Ludlow shirts. Pretty similar, but marginally looser. And given that medium is 15/15.5, that means that the new shirts are substantially larger than the old ones.