Thread: What are the pros & cons of the new J. Crew "Unsuits"? Any thoughts are welcome...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

What are the pros & cons of the new J. Crew "Unsuits"? Any thoughts are welcome...

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/unsuit.jsp
    https://dappered.com/2018/02/j-crews...sales-handful/

"Using the same super-breathable cotton-linen from Portugal’s Somelos mill, it’s unlined and unpadded, with unlimited ways to make it your own."

Blazer is $168
    Pants are $98

I kinda like the idea of having a flexible, light, unpadded suit that I can break into separates...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I bought the jacket last spring when they were just selling it as a sportcoat. I don't really have an opportunity to wear a casual relaxed suit all that often, especially not one that I might only use in the summer time but for the price of the pants (which I got on a discount) I figured "why the hell not?". I plan to break them up more than wear them together anyway. I can see through the jacket and was worried the pants might be the same but they are lined and its not an issue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If you wear suits frequently and live in a hot climate (or one that gets hot enough), it could be nice. If you’re like me and rarely wear suits, then it will be a waste of $$ - not as nice or formal as a proper wool suit, too overly formal for everyday wear. It’s easy to get lured into buying suits or blazers you don’t need.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    It'll rumple like a linen suit but won't have the structure of a half-lined linen suit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    It'll rumple like a linen suit but won't have the structure of a half-lined linen suit.
    This is why I wear wool trousers full-time, and hardly ever wear chinos.

And how does cotton-linen handle odor? Wool garments last long between dry cleaning because they don't easily smell.

That said, this suit is probably what the mass want.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Most suit jacket won't work with jeans. This might.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I love these kinds of suits, because they are both sharp looking and comfortable. They are more versatile than a structured suit, which tends to look overly formal in anything but the most formal occasions or settings.

Your physique matters too. I have broad shoulders and I fit well into OTR sizes, so I don't really need much if any padding. Someone with very sloping shoulders may want or need some structure in the jacket, both to look closer to the 'ideal' and to enable the jacket to drape in the intended manner.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    (I should clarify that I'm definitely buying one, but my steez is basically Lord John Marbury, so it fits my whole deal)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Tried them on a week ago.

The problem for me is the Ludlow cut. The jacket fits great, but the pants—damn. Ludlow pants are so aggressively tapered that I can barely squeeze my haunches into a 36.” And I’m normally a 34.” So I end up swimming in the waist and busting seams on the thigh/calf, in the same damn pair of pants. That’s inconvenient.

I think I’m gonna get the chambray and sky blue houndstooth jackets and just pair them with chinos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk