Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy pinstripe suit for regular rotation?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Navy pinstripe suit for regular rotation?

I'm thinking about replacing a worn out medium blue pinstripe suit that I wear as a part of regular rotation, about once a week, maybe slightly less often.
    FYI, I office requires me to wear suit 4 to 5 times a week.

Pinstripe isn't so thick that it makes me look like a gangster from the 20s, but combined with medium blue, I think it's definitely noticeable enough that I probably shouldn't wear often. And since I'm trying to simplify my wardrobe and make them more versatile, my plan for the replacement is something less memorable.

Today I found this navy pinstripe suit from Banana Republic.
    http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...4002&cid=75310
    It was already discounted, and with 40% off, I can get the full set for around $200, which I think is a terrific deal.

So my question is,

1) How versatile do you guys think that specific suit is, in terms of frequent wearability, say once a week, and flexibility to mix/match with various but office-approved colors and patterns of shirt and tie?

2) If you aren't a big fan of that suit, what would you recommend as a workhorse suit? Suits I have now are navy solid, charcoal solid, medium gray solid, and medium blue pinstripe in question. My other alternative candidate is medium blue solid.

Thank you!
    Last edited by mochi123; February 15th, 2018 at 11:42 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    Navy pinstripe, for business, is both classic and awesome. For business, it's just as versatile as a navy suit.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Reminds me of a suit I had once. I like noticeable pinstripes, so I would get it.

Indeed, I'm thinking of getting that one you linked to as well. Thinking thinking . . . they do have my size.

I wear suits four to five times a week as well and I would wear it with almost any solid color shirt and almost any tie I own. Some patterned shirts would work as well.

Wait--how do you get the whole thing for $200? The jacket is on sale for $240.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    I have never been a fan of navy pinstripes mostly due to sloppy pattern matching between different parts of the jacket. The most notable area is usually the sleeve head where it connects to the shoulder. The pockets sometimes have this issue but it seems companies have upped their QC on pockets to match the patterns.

I have this gray suit with pinstripes and could wear it regularly without anyone noticing. I think the lighter color helps and whenever I see someone else in a suit with similar color and stripes, it just looks really good.

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...ID&prefv1=grey

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Wait--how do you get the whole thing for $200? The jacket is on sale for $240.
    Select the size you like, put them in the shopping bag, and it will be taken 40% off at check out. With pants included, it comes at around $205

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    Select the size you like, put them in the shopping bag, and it will be taken 40% off at check out. With pants included, it comes at around $205
    Sweet. Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)
    The problem I've always had with pinstripes is I feel it limits my shirt choices, since if I had a grid or patterned shirt it would be too much pattern. With solids no issues. If that isn't a concern the pinstripe doesn't seem overwhelming like some can.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    As long as the stripes are thin and subtle, it is fine IMO. The one linked is a great option.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    The problem I've always had with pinstripes is I feel it limits my shirt choices, since if I had a grid or patterned shirt it would be too much pattern. With solids no issues. If that isn't a concern the pinstripe doesn't seem overwhelming like some can.
    Pinstripe on pinstripe I'd avoid, but having two distinct patterns is common practice.

The key is the pattern must be distinct. Scale of the pattern, weight of lines, shapes, dominant colours, etc. must be sufficiently different that they don't visually run into each other.

Three patterns can be a little much, however, so it makes it easier to choose a plain tie OR shirt when wearing a patterned shirt. You can pull off three layers of patterns, but that does require a good eye.

As for navy with pinstripes, that's the classic bankers' uniform. Regular wear would not be an issue. Hell, as a few TV news anchors have repeatedly demonstrated a man can wear the same suit every day for months on end without anyone noticing.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    @mochi123

I don't know what you did, but I just ordered one. I've never owned Banana Republic anything and haven't ever shopped there at all. But $200 for a suit, can't go too wrong, right?