Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy pinstripe suit for regular rotation?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Navy pinstripe, for business, is both classic and awesome. For business, it's just as versatile as a navy suit.

Agree with this. I have a navy pinstripe suit in heavy rotation. It is what I wore when I had my picture done for my bio page on my firm's website.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    @mochi123

I don't know what you did, but I just ordered one. I've never owned Banana Republic anything and haven't ever shopped there at all. But $200 for a suit, can't go too wrong, right?
    I've been weighing my options, but I think I will go ahead and order it too. BR has pretty good stuff in general, and a good value with heavy sale.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Ehhh I will dissent a little here and say that I don't care much for this type of pinstripe. Pinstripes can be hard to pull off without looking weird and gangster... usually the bolder and wider spaced the pinstripe, the worse it is. A very subtle, narrowly spaced pinstripe can work ok but I don't like this particular style at all, at least not in a full suit.
    Ben

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Ehhh I will dissent a little here and say that I don't care much for this type of pinstripe. Pinstripes can be hard to pull off without looking weird and gangster... usually the bolder and wider spaced the pinstripe, the worse it is. A very subtle, narrowly spaced pinstripe can work ok but I don't like this particular style at all, at least not in a full suit.
    Hehehe . . . I like the suggestion of the gangster look on occasion. Maybe because I'm an old movie fan. Maybe because I'm half-Italian. Maybe I'm gonna find a big fat loud tie to wear with it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Hehehe . . . I like the suggestion of the gangster look on occasion. Maybe because I'm an old movie fan. Maybe because I'm half-Italian. Maybe I'm gonna find a big fat loud tie to wear with it.
    Don't forget the fedora and tommy-gun!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I think the association of striped suits with organized crime comes from Bugsy Siegel. Some of the the most-often published pictures of Siegel are of him wearing pin, chalk, and shadow-striped suits. There are also well-known pictures of him wearing a gingham suit; now that's gangster.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    I'm thinking about replacing a worn out medium blue pinstripe suit that I wear as a part of regular rotation, about once a week, maybe slightly less often.
    FYI, I office requires me to wear suit 4 to 5 times a week.

Pinstripe isn't so thick that it makes me look like a gangster from the 20s, but combined with medium blue, I think it's definitely noticeable enough that I probably shouldn't wear often. And since I'm trying to simplify my wardrobe and make them more versatile, my plan for the replacement is something less memorable.

Today I found this navy pinstripe suit from Banana Republic.
    http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...4002&cid=75310
    It was already discounted, and with 40% off, I can get the full set for around $200, which I think is a terrific deal.

So my question is,

1) How versatile do you guys think that specific suit is, in terms of frequent wearability, say once a week, and flexibility to mix/match with various but office-approved colors and patterns of shirt and tie?

2) If you aren't a big fan of that suit, what would you recommend as a workhorse suit? Suits I have now are navy solid, charcoal solid, medium gray solid, and medium blue pinstripe in question. My other alternative candidate is medium blue solid.

Thank you!
    I received mine yesterday. Here are my comments:

1. The pinstripe is much more subtle than it looks in the photos.

2. This is a great suit for $208. Fabric is really nice.

3. I'm glad I purchased it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I bought the same BR suit. On sale, plus 40% off and 10% off with BR card. Heck of a deal. I echo your thoughts the pinstripes are subtle and the material is fantastic. Better than the other BR suit I have. The blue is not as dark as a standard navy, which is nice to mix things up some.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    I'm also along these lines. I don't think a pinstripe is very versatile--it's really something that works in a business professional setting, but otherwise I think it looks too stuff (or costumey ala gangster style) in most other scenarios. I used to have pinstripe suits when I started work and needed suits, but quickly learned they weren't my favorite. I don't even wear striped shirts often, but just found it was something very difficult to dress down at all. In my head, pinstripe requires a full suit and tie look.

That's not to say they can't look good. However, a regular navy or a true blue solid suit is IMO more versatile and can go with a lot more stuff. That's what those anchors wore every day and paired with a variety of shirts/ties that made it easy to not realize they were wearing the same suit.

For me, if you're looking to branch out of solids, a glenplaid / prince of wales is a great place to go. That all being said, that pinstripe isn't as aggressive/bold as a lot, which I think is a good thing for your purposes. And that price is hard to beat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    I received mine yesterday. Here are my comments:

1. The pinstripe is much more subtle than it looks in the photos.

2. This is a great suit for $208. Fabric is really nice.

3. I'm glad I purchased it.
    Oh good! How was the sizing? I'm 5'10, 175lbs, and I wear 40R for jacket, and anywhere between 32W to 34W, and 30L to 32L for pants, depends on brand.

My best fitting pants are,
    Levi's jeans 32W 32L
    GAP chino 33W 30L

I have dress pants from BR Factory for 32W 30L, and the waist feels a little tight, and the length is a bit short.