Thread: GAP Factory?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

GAP Factory?

The GAP store near me is converting to a "Gap Factory". Does anyone know what the difference is between regular GAP and the factory version? Is it like J. Crew factory where the clothes are specifically made for them, sometimes knockoffs of the parent store, but lesser quality? Is it still GAP clothes but last season's stuff? The website doesn't look too much different. Wouldn't Old Navy function as a GAP factory if it was just lesser quality clothes? Thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    it's gap style stuff, built even cheaper than it already is. if you could imagine that. it's probably not even as nice as mainline old navy.

it's an entirely different line, and even lower quality than usual. it's not actually an outlet for off season stuff or anything like that no matter what they say.

i'm surprised they're making stores factory stores, i distinctly remember them saying they were killing off that brand at some point in the last year.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    At best, quality is close to Old Navy. I've never seen old stock from mainline Gap at the Factory store near me like you sometimes see at J.Crew Factory. I've bought a few things there in the past (some polo shirts), but I'd give it a hard pass nowadays.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

GAP Factory?

Iíve never found gap factory quality to be equal to old navy. Hard to believe but itís worse.

But. Some people donít care much about quality (honestly thatís not a knock- just facts). People just want cheap. Soóthereís that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Well, that's pretty disappointing. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1682 Post(s)
    I have a GAP Factory store locally and I do like perusing their clearance racks on occasion. You can sometimes find shirts for $5, pants for $9, etc.

The quality leaves much to be desired in general, but as with all lower end brands, it varies by item. I actually have a bomber jacket I got from GAP Factory at least 3-4 years ago that has held up really well and still gets worn, especially when I want something that looks a bit style-y but am totally comfortable getting trashed and having to wash.

I also have a couple super casual oxfords that I picked up on clearance for nothing that have a decent, soft material and are very wearable on super hot summer days. (One instance where flimsiness can actually be a benefit.)

I've found several pairs of well-fitting chinos there over the years as well, but they are sufficiently flimsy that I have donated/trashed them all by now as I've found nicer replacements from Bonobos and the like. I think I still have one pair of black chinos I got there that I bought in a pinch for a music gig where I needed black pants, and these were the only ones in town I could find that actually fit me (and cost like $14 or something).

It's a good spot to poke around and can be a good source for last-minute basics like t-shirts, polos, chinos, flip-flops for vacations or gym showers, etc, but I would definitely not rank GAP Factory among my favorite stores.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    They are kind of like Old Navy in terms of quality, from my experience. Worth a visit if they are running a deep discount i.e. 50% or more.

I have a blue gingham OCBD from GAP factory almost 3 years ago. I still wear them once in a while, is holding up fine, and considering I paid around $20 or so, it is a solid value.
    If I wanted to spend $40 to $50 on a OCBD, which was the retail price at GAP factory, I would rather wait a bit for big sale at BR.