Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Common style move that just doesn't work for you?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Common style move that just doesn't work for you?

I just cannot wear a tailored sportcoat with anything but a long sleeve collared shirt. I have tried polo shirts, t shirts, henleys, etc. Just doesn't feel right - especially short sleeves - I gotta have a collar and cuffs.

What common style moves are not your bag? No-sock loafers? Bowties?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    I just cannot wear a tailored sportcoat with anything but a long sleeve collared shirt. I have tried polo shirts, t shirts, henleys, etc. Just doesn't feel right - especially short sleeves - I gotta have a collar and cuffs.
    I hate the look and don't think anyone pulls it off, but that's just me.

Skinny jeans. I'm not built for them. I have an athletic build and run a lot, so my legs are too big for skinny jeans in any waist size even close to what I typically wear. Doesn't bother me, though, since I find skinny jeans look very effeminate (I know, I know, tell me I'm wrong, but that's my opinion).

Dress shoes with jeans. I'm fine with boots, chukkas, loafers, etc., but I can't pull off low top derbies or oxfords. I see people wearing AE strands and shoes like that with jeans, but it doesn't work for me.

Tennis shoes. I don't know that anyone thinks running shoes look good with regular attire (the dad look, where they don't care that it looks goofy), but I can't pull off tennis shoes at all. The only time you'll see me in anything like that is when I'm heading to the gym in my gym clothes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    A couple:

- a waistcoat
    - boat shoes
    - skinny jeans (ironically, my legs are too skinny)
    - sockless with any dress or tennis shoe

I'm sure there are more but these are what I could think of initially....

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1725 Post(s)
    I have small-ish feet and fairly meaty calves with lots of blond leg hair that doesn't really show very well from a distance, so unisex shoe styles, especially slip-ons, tend to look overly feminine on me... plimsolls, sleek loafers, espadrilles.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Wearing a sweater with a sportcoat. I like how it looks as layers in all the catalogs, but I run too warm. Even just one or the other, I usually end up removing once inside. Actually one of the reasons I like wearing polos with sportcoat (as long as it has a dress collar like Spier and Mackay and Orlebar Brown.)

Skinny jeans.

Joggers.

Sweatshirts in general, used to wear until I bought a nice softshell with fleece lining, which I found more versatile.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Shorts outside of wearing them for the gym or swimming or days spent outside in the sun during the summer.

I hate shorts, I hate wearing shorts as an intentional and not necessary part of my outfit. They make me feel weird and unprepared.

I'll second the boat shoes comment, I had a pair once, but I always felt like I would have either preferred a straight loafer (formal) or just a pair of sneakers (casual) instead. They felt like a weird in between for me and I was never super comfortable with when or how to wear them.

Again this is all personal more power to everyone who likes these and does them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I’ve been wearing a pair of Chelsea boots during the winter for the past 3 years, and today I’ve finally had enough and deciddd I’m done with them. I truly hate how every time I sit down and stand up, the bottom of my pants get caught on the top of my boot. I know they are all the rage, but I’m ready to chuck these things.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Useknifeonly View Post
    Shorts outside of wearing them for the gym or swimming or days spent outside in the sun during the summer.

I hate shorts, I hate wearing shorts as an intentional and not necessary part of my outfit. They make me feel weird and unprepared.

I'll second the boat shoes comment, I had a pair once, but I always felt like I would have either preferred a straight loafer (formal) or just a pair of sneakers (casual) instead. They felt like a weird in between for me and I was never super comfortable with when or how to wear them.
    Well, I wear my boat shoes with shorts very casually. Although, I'd generally wear said shorts/boat shoes with a button down shirt with rolled up sleeves during the warmer days.

To answer OP's question, I just can't wear dress shoes with anything other than a suit. Blazer and pants, I'd go with a chukka or chelsea.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Useknifeonly View Post

Again this is all personal more power to everyone who likes these and does them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also feel weird in shorts, probably because I hate my legs (need to get in the gym more).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    I’ve been wearing a pair of Chelsea boots during the winter for the past 3 years, and today I’ve finally had enough and deciddd I’m done with them. I truly hate how every time I sit down and stand up, the bottom of my pants get caught on the top of my boot. I know they are all the rage, but I’m ready to chuck these things.
    I love the look, but don't think they go well with me either. I have the same issue where my ankles might be too thin therefore the trouser openings get caught.