Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Common style move that just doesn't work for you?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Chukka boots, it just doesn't work

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I have a hard time with denim jackets. For some reason, I just don't feel right in them.
    Second on sneakers with anything but jeans or shorts. This sneakers with suits thing is just annoying. It makes you look like that douchey kid who wore converse high tops with a tux to the prom. If you were that kid, sorry, maybe you're not douchey, but the look sure is IMHO.
    Stronger second on the no socks with dress shoes and a suit. It just looks dumb and all I can think about is how smelly those shoes must be at the end of a summer day.
    Also second on boots with the little pull tabs at the back. It's OK if they are big enough to get your finger through to help them on, but most of mine aren't and are too slippery to be effective if you just grab them. All they do is catch your pants and make you look like a dork every time you stand up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemsprong View Post
    2) Turtlenecks. As a professor I've witnessed quite a few -- always looks ridiculous. Chunky fisherman sweater maybe...
    4) The puffer vest/jacket. Looks good on tall, slim guys. I'm short and end up looking round.
    5) Bucket hats. To be honest, I think they look silly on everyone, but looks especially silly on me.
    I worked with a guy who could pull off the turtleneck-under-sportcoat look, but only because he looked a lot like Lee Majors ca. 1975 to begin with. He always reminded me of a secret agent from the 1970's.

I wear puffer layers when I am backpacking or skiing - pretty much why they were invented.

I wear a white bucket hat when I'm climbing on spring backcountry ski trips - again for purely functional reasons. Out on the town? Nope.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Loafers with no socks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Anything hat related. I'm not sure if I objectively look bad, but I always feel awkward. I do sometimes wear a baseball style hat when I do yardwork just to keep from burning my nose, but that's about it.

Also, due to the way I'm built, pants that are too slim fit look goofy on me. I have somewhat meaty legs, but I am also festively plump up top, so if something makes my legs look skinny, I end up looking kind of like MR. Peanut.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    I haven't worn denim jeans is 30 or more years. It looks good I think, but just didn't like it personally as as soon as I started wearing khaki pants (in college I think). I might try them again sometime.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    304 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    I haven't worn denim jeans is 30 or more years. It looks good I think, but just didn't like it personally as as soon as I started wearing khaki pants (in college I think). I might try them again sometime.
    Interesting, I am the opposite. Always wore a uniform (khakis) from grade school through high school, so as soon as college came around I was like OMG I have to dress myself, jeans and a fleece! lol Thanks to Old Navy and my frugal mother

I cannot wear khaki colored pants anymore without thinking I am in school.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Henley's. I don't have a broad enough chest to make them look good

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have no fear of color, shorts, wearing tennis shoes in unexpected ways, and I can mix and match patterns like a pro. However, the following just aren't me.

1. Boots taller than a Chukka: My feet and ankles get claustrophobic and boots always feel wrong on me. We've had about a foot of snow in the past few days, and I'm wearing tennis shoes through to work because this usual lightweight, can outpower the snow.

2. Sweat pants beyond our property. I'm fine with being casual at home, but No, JUST NO. I've only broken the rule once, when I had to accompany my husband to the ER.

3. Stocking caps, Toques, Skull Caps, Tobaggans, Knit Caps: I got a big noggin and no matter what you call a knit cap, they always feel wrong and leave me with terrible hat-hair. I bought a new one this year, and despite weeks of below zero weather, I've only worn it once.

4. Dressing like the crowd. I'm not the guy at the hockey game wearing the team jersey, but I'll wear team colors in the form of maroon chinos.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    @Bixmeister I totally agree with #4 it's like the guy who wears the band t-shirt to the band he is going to see. I dont mind others who do it, but just not for me.