Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How does this work?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    How does this work?

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202222489197

    I want to buy this piece of clothing for my wife, but I have no idea how 'one size' works. Can someone help me understand this?! My wife wears size 16 and I want to surprise her because I know this is very much her style, can someone help me out whether it would fit her?

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I would imagine that the way it works is "not well". No way "one size" works for sizes 0-18. Even bathrobes are sized more specifically than that.

    If it works for "up to 18" and your wife wears a 16, it's possible that it will fit her, but you should be prepared to do a return. I never buy clothes for my wife, because I know fit is too difficult.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member Alex.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Not to get too personal, but the fit will likely come down to bust size. The rest of the garment is very flow-y, so it may well fit her lower half. If she's a chesty gal, the top could easily be uncomfortable or simply not fit well/look good.

    I'd echo @dpark, buying clothes for the woman in your life is tricky as heck. I tend to leave that to her.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for replying, I agree that the sizing is not too specific but I think I will risk it and pray for the best

  5. #5
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    956
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    Did you not see the measurement below?

    Bust 40' - 102cm , Length 40 to 45' - 102 to 114cm , Shoulders 16' - 41cm , Hips 48' - 122cm
    Measure some of her dresses and you'll know if it will fit her somehow.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    Did you not see the measurement below?



    Measure some of her dresses and you'll know if it will fit her somehow.

    This. Break out the measuring tape and start comparing. I keep a note of what my wife's measurements are for this exact reason, so that I can buy her something that I know will fit and fit correctly.

    Also it really isnt that hard to buy for your spouse especially if you are really focused on what she would really like and not what you think would look good on her, just like it takes time for you to nail down your aesthetic, if you're attentive(think- knowing what brands she likes, if she likes reading fashion blogs--which ones, etc)... about how your wife dresses, its pretty easy to nail down what they are going for and what they will like.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    Did you not see the measurement below?

    Measure some of her dresses and you'll know if it will fit her somehow.
    The seller should learn how to indicate inches properly. I thought this was giving a range (e.g. 40-102cm). :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Useknifeonly View Post
    Also it really isnt that hard to buy for your spouse especially if you are really focused on what she would really like and not what you think would look good on her, just like it takes time for you to nail down your aesthetic, if you're attentive(think- knowing what brands she likes, if she likes reading fashion blogs--which ones, etc)... about how your wife dresses, its pretty easy to nail down what they are going for and what they will like.
    I disagree. My wife will put on 4 pairs of pants in the same size from the same manufacturer in the same fit and be unhappy with 3 of them. Fit is tough. It seems especially tough for women where shirts and pants are generally expected to be extremely fitted but somehow not look tight. If your wife's aesthetic is baggy, then it's probably easy, but buying a pair of tailored trousers without her trying them on seems near impossible. (Which is honestly not that surprising. My wife could buy pants for me but only because she'd buy specifically from Bonobos and they happen to be pretty consistent.)

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    The seller should learn how to indicate inches properly. I thought this was giving a range (e.g. 40-102cm). :/



    I disagree. My wife will put on 4 pairs of pants in the same size from the same manufacturer in the same fit and be unhappy with 3 of them. Fit is tough. It seems especially tough for women where shirts and pants are generally expected to be extremely fitted but somehow not look tight. If your wife's aesthetic is baggy, then it's probably easy, but buying a pair of tailored trousers without her trying them on seems near impossible. (Which is honestly not that surprising. My wife could buy pants for me but only because she'd buy specifically from Bonobos and they happen to be pretty consistent.)
    Agree to disagree then

    The mrs. Is currently in law school and her style is almost exclusively business formal or business/smart casual (?)-- she doesn't do baggy and I find the assumption about someone's taste based on the ease I have in shopping for it insulting and presumptuous . a pair of tailored trousers to use your example can be difficult, but I will concede of the things she buys it's the hardest to nail down, but I'm the exact same way with trousers so I don't know if it's any different from men to women's styles, her luck though is she prefers pencil skirts and matching jackets instead of suit pants. The only one we have that she actually liked was from a Sandro sale we chanced by while in Paris so of course we got it.

    Maybe it depends on the person or spouse then? Seeing as that's usually the case for most people when it comes to clothes. I didn't mean to presume it's always easy only that I don't think anyone should shy away from getting a nice piece of clothing for their spouse simply because they are intimidated by how tricky it can be.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Useknifeonly View Post
    she doesn't do baggy and I find the assumption about someone's taste based on the ease I have in shopping for it insulting and presumptuous .
    My apologies. I was using the generic ďyouĒ and did not mean to say that literally your wife wears baggy clothes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Useknifeonly View Post
    but I'm the exact same way with trousers so I don't know if it's any different from men to women's styles
    For people who are particular about fit, itís probably not much different. Women seem to in general care more about their clothes and fit so itís hard to buy for them. Iím sure itís hard to shop for clothes for guys who care about fit, too. As I said, I would not expect my wife to have luck shopping for clothes for me except when I give her specifics or she basically buys a clone of something I already have.

    Iím glad you have success clothes shopping for your wife though. If you can do that and she likes it, good for you both.

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    My apologies. I was using the generic ďyouĒ and did not mean to say that literally your wife wears baggy clothes.



    For people who are particular about fit, itís probably not much different. Women seem to in general care more about their clothes and fit so itís hard to buy for them. Iím sure itís hard to shop for clothes for guys who care about fit, too. As I said, I would not expect my wife to have luck shopping for clothes for me except when I give her specifics or she basically buys a clone of something I already have.

    Iím glad you have success clothes shopping for your wife though. If you can do that and she likes it, good for you both.
    Nahhhh your good I shouldn't have looked to react so poorly in the first place.My apologies. But yeah you've got a point in terms of trying to buy for a spouse. It can be a crap shoot especially if one is super particular about fit or feel when wearing it in general.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •