Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring/Fall Jacket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Spring/Fall Jacket

I've been trying to do a better job with my outerwear, as I've leaned for far too long on more "tech" style jackets when going to work (where I'm either wearing dress slacks or dark jeans with a button down) or out with friends. For the frigid days - I've already replaced my bright red ski jacket with the J Crew Dock pea coat, which I love. Next up? Days where it's too warm for the heavy pea coat, but still cold enough to require a jacket. I've been using my North Face Apex Bionic to fill this role, but as it's getting old I figured this would be the perfect time to update. It's be nice to find something that could pull double duty - nice enough to wear to work, but causal enough to wear out with friends or on date night. Seems like popular opinion dictates that this should be that shinny, quilted style jacket that's so popular now, but I HATE the way they look. Any suggestions?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Baracuta G9

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    873 Post(s)
    Barbour Beaufort, Bedale, or Ashby.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    The Baracuta G9 is the standard for harrington jackets. However, Merc and Gustin also make nice equivalents at a lower price point.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Barbour like JBarwick suggested. Can get you from 20s (with layers) up to high 60s. Great for wind and rain. One downside is they do not breathe well, which can be an issue if you sweat with your jacket on (think commuting to work).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'd second the Harrington. I've had a Beaufort for about a year and I can't say I've been happy with it. Doesn't breathe, shape is pretty terrible, and I just discovered a gaping hole that I've apparently worn through the lining by having something in the front pocket about 10% of the time. Certainly not what I expected out of a $400 jacket, so if you can beat that price with pretty much anything else I'd say go for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I've got one of these bomber jackets and I like it a lot. It's got some insulation but not too much, and works for me from 40 to 60 degrees. It can be casual but also looks good with a button down shirt, even a casual tie, or a nice shirt and sweater combination.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=864232012

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    I think that your choices include Harrington style jackets, bomber style jackets (similar, but different collar) or perhaps a field jacket. Personally, I'd go with the field jacket right now, but all of the above are good choices.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    My summer jackets are patterned linen blazers, denim jacket, chambray bomber w/cotton lining, and an unlined cotton field jacket(with ipad size internal pockets!)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    I wear one of two different color topcoats when it's really cold. For warmer temps I have a field coat with a quilted lining, a lined cotton bomber, and an unlined chore coat for casual jackets. If I'm going to be wearing a sport coat or suit, just the jacket from that is fine unless it's cold enough for a topcoat.