Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brooks brothers AE - thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Whenever AE offers their deep discount sale ($245.00 for shoes built on the 65 last) I order a pair with Poron insoles and Dainite soles. I'm normaly a D width, so with the Poron insoles, I size up to an E width. Super comfortable. In addition, I doubt AE is crafting the BB shoes out of any different leather than their AE branded shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWong37 View Post
    Isn’t v-tread a leather sole with rubber over it?
    the rubber replaces the leather in the front of the shoe, so there's no additional height added to the shoe from the rubber. It's basically AE's version of a sleek rubber sole. Unless you're staring from close up you wouldn't be able to tell that it's rubber and not leather, whereas something like Dainite adds a bit of bulk.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    the rubber replaces the leather in the front of the shoe, so there's no additional height added to the shoe from the rubber. It's basically AE's version of a sleek rubber sole. Unless you're staring from close up you wouldn't be able to tell that it's rubber and not leather, whereas something like Dainite adds a bit of bulk.
    In my experience, Dainite is also much less comfortable. It is initially very uncomfortable because it is so stiff and inflexible. But even after it's broken in, it is not very comfortable, because the studs aren't level with the rubber, so you occasionally get an uneven footing. All in all, I prefer the rubber half-sole or vibram/Topy. They may not be quite as durable, but they are still overall far preferable. And I prefer leather to Dainite, too. Comfort and style beat out longevity. At least for someone with a deep collection.

Anyway, I just had an interesting conversation with the Allen Edmonds' customer service. I am thinking about getting a walnut Leiden or walnut burnished McGregor, so I wanted to check whether they are the same color. She said that they are. (The photos look very different but we know they are unreliable). Anyway, she also denied that bourbon is made by taking walnut leather and then burnishing it with black. She said it's a different color and always has been. That was definitely not my understanding. I thought it was widely acknowledged that bourbon was discontinued because it ended up with tiger striping so much of the time from the burnishing. I'll have to look into this further, unless anyone has any information about it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I went ahead and got a pair of the burgundy McAllister. Already have a pair of standard AE strands and PA, so well see the difference.

Thanks for the input everyone

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    In my experience, Dainite is also much less comfortable. It is initially very uncomfortable because it is so stiff and inflexible. But even after it's broken in, it is not very comfortable, because the studs aren't level with the rubber, so you occasionally get an uneven footing. All in all, I prefer the rubber half-sole or vibram/Topy. They may not be quite as durable, but they are still overall far preferable. And I prefer leather to Dainite, too. Comfort and style beat out longevity. At least for someone with a deep collection.
    I can attest to this personally and recently. I am at a conference where I am on my feet for 8 hours a day. I wore my leather soled Carlos Santos yesterday and felt fine at the end of the day (we even walked a mile or so through the French Quarter). I wore my Dainite soled AE University today and couldn’t wait to get them off. My feet are so sore. I am switching shoes to take my clients to dinner tonight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I thought they are all same quality

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I just received my pair of BB McAllister.

My AE strands and PA are 10D and they fit perfect (borderline a little loose of I had to be picky)

Stepping into the BB shoes, they are very low volume. My foot sits much higher with the poron insoles and there is some slippage at the heal due to a higher height.

Wondering how much the poron insoles break in and decrease in height.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    walnut burnished McGregor, so I wanted to check whether they are the same color. She said that they are. (The photos look very different but we know they are unreliable). Anyway, she also denied that bourbon is made by taking walnut leather and then burnishing it with black. She said it's a different color and always has been. That was definitely not my understanding. I thought it was widely acknowledged that bourbon was discontinued because it ended up with tiger striping so much of the time from the burnishing. I'll have to look into this further, unless anyone has any information about it.
    I really like my bourbon MCallisters. I haven't had the tiger striping issue appear. And because I got them on close-out, the price made them sweeter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Did most people size up a width from their normal AE size due to the poron insole?