Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brooks brothers AE - thoughts?

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    actually if you're saying the sole, the sole is better maybe, if you like rubber. I think the leather sole is much more luxurious.

the inside, the insole, my bad i mixed them up, is super uncomfortable.

It gets all hot and squishy. All the extra layers are all glued in there and it doesn't breathe at all. the leather sole does, it's much cooler inside, and it seems like it actually makes my feel sweat way less than the poron one does. The poron insole in a few of my AE/BB shoes is a source of major "meh".

I also have the opinion that the poron sole does not allow the cork to shape correctly, which makes my feet get mad after wearing them for a while. My regular Strands, i could walk hundreds of miles in, as they are my very best fitting shoes in the world.
    Last edited by evanparker; February 13th, 2018 at 01:29 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    actually if you're saying the sole, the sole is better maybe, if you like rubber. I think the leather sole is much more luxurious.

the inside, the insole, my bad i mixed them up, is super uncomfortable.

It gets all hot and squishy. All the extra layers are all glued in there and it doesn't breathe at all. the leather sole does, it's much cooler inside, and it seems like it actually makes my feel sweat way less than the poron one does. The poron insole in a few of my AE/BB shoes is a source of major "meh".

I also have the opinion that the poron sole does not allow the cork to shape correctly, which makes my feet get mad after wearing them for a while. My regular Strands, i could walk hundreds of miles in, as they are my very best fitting shoes in the world.
    You are correct, I was talking about the poron insole. Everything you have described is what I have read online so far.

Now I must decide if that is a deal breaker or not...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)
    I have a pair of the BB MacNeils on the way. It'll be my first pair of BB Allen Edmonds, so new to me too. I didn't used to like the idea of the rubber half sole, but I ended up getting one on my Strands when I got them recrafted and am super glad I did (although i might even go full dainite in the future). After reading this thread I was curious and googled a bit about the insole. First couple of hits were actually previous Dappered threads:

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...-vs-AE-Strands
    https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...le-and-outsole

(Not at all trying to be repost police, thought you might appreciate the other perspectives)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Leather soles are "luxurious" out of the box but once you wear them for a dozen times, they become less so. Quality rubber soles are very nice.

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1770 Post(s)
    I refuse to buy leather soled shoes anymore. Tried to wear a pair of my old ones a few weeks back... I was slipping and sliding and almost fell on my ass on ice/snow that has never been a problem with rubber soled shoes.

I’m not going to waste my money on a work shoe that I can’t wear six months out of the year.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    Leather soles are "luxurious" out of the box but once you wear them for a dozen times, they become less so. Quality rubber soles are very nice.
    This. If I had the choice I'd switch out all of my AE leather soles to V-tread soles. To a certain extent, when you choose leather soles, you're choosing looks over durability, and AE leather soles don't really offer much in terms of looks. No closed channel stitching, no fiddleback waist, and they're less durable compared to higher quality leather soles like JR. One wear on an AE leather sole looks like five wears on a JR sole.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    The Poron insole is uncomfortable and if you have a higher than normal instep like me you may need to actually go up a width or two.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    There is some consideration to leather vs rubber soles.

This blog post goes over everything in detail

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2017/...ber-soles.html

I would personally take a quality rubber sole over junk leather, but do prefer quality leather in general.

I would add that I haven't found AE leather soles to be particularly high quality. Soles from Puy en Velay and J. Rendenbach are what I consider high quality. I don't know exactly what AE uses, but the soles show wear quickly as stated above.
    Last edited by ianr; February 13th, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Isn’t v-tread a leather sole with rubber over it?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    In my opinion:

1. V-tread rubber half-sole (or Vibram, etc).
    2. Leather sole.
    3. Dainite sole.