Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent Inexpensive Black Dress Shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Get your AEs recrafted and stretch them slightly.
    Do you mean when you get them recrafted you can ask them to make them a larger size?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    If you can stretch your budget to around $150, AE has a number of black shoes in size 13 on their Shoebank, including the one I linked to below. I not only find sub-$100 shoes generally less stylish and lower quality, but less comfortable as well. Do your feet a favour, even if only for 8 times a year. At that rate a pair of AEs may be the last pair of black shoes you ever need to buy.

http://www.aeshoebank.com/FactorySec...DIM=D&SIZE=130
    Holy crap. These.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWong37 View Post
    Do you mean when you get them recrafted you can ask them to make them a larger size?
    No, but a cobbler can stretch them some, or you can do it at home, to make them fit better. Unless they're totally the wrong size, of course.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    No, but a cobbler can stretch them some, or you can do it at home, to make them fit better. Unless they're totally the wrong size, of course.
    I’ve never done it—but thick socks or couple pairs over shoe trees is one way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Thanks all, that gives me a lot to think about. Appreciate the brands to avoid (I don't want total crap). I may just do my best to polish up my AEs (and see about stretching them a little, hadn't thought of that). To get me through the next couple gigs and save up for some shoebank ones. I really do hate buying junk. And I'm also lusting after a pair of Iron Rangers....

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Joseph Abboud line from Men's Wearhouse / Moore's.

Most of their other shoe lines are terrible -- stay away from Stacy Adams -- but the various Abboud products are MW's attempt to move a little more upmarket.

Bought a pair for the 2013-2014 winter season for $90CAD on sale. Wear them once or twice a week and they still look great. Leather uppers and lining, rubber outer sole.
    A bunch on sale right now.

https://www.menswearhouse.com/hdn/de...mtrctid=ACFFIF

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWong37 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeyers View Post
    I’ve never done it—but thick socks or couple pairs over shoe trees is one way.
    I have this shoe stretcher from Amazon and am very happy with it. Only about $25.

I have a couple of bunions that make any shoe that is the "right" size pinch across the widest part of my foot. This device has little attachments for bunions. But it also stretches longer as well. It has opened up the type of shoes I can wear on a daily basis--not just square toes any more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    I'd much rather save the money I'd spend on black dress shoes and buy another pair of brown boots...
    Glad someone else thinks along these same lines! Around here, requests for "moderately priced" shoe recommendations seem to come up at least weekly, and the response is almost invariably along the lines of "double your budget and get some AEs." I have a pair, and indeed, they are the most comfortable and best-crafted dress shoes I have ever owned. But I think the application/use of the product is worth keeping in mind. If it's worn ~5 times/year, I'd bet cheap glued shoes and Park Avenues are both likely to be usable 10 years down the road. By a cost-per-wear metric though, AEs would come out to $4 (at a good shoebank price) as opposed to well under $1 for something cheaper. I just can't see shelling out $200-300 for something that will spend quite literally 99% of its days in the closet. Brown derbys worn three times a week would be a totally different story, and well worth shelling out for if one could swing it financially.

That's the other aspect that I have trouble with. $200 is a lot of money for some folks, regardless of whether the product in question is of the highest quality or will get very regular use. And for those who DO have that much disposable income, shelling out that much still sounds like a lot for one pair of shoes to the vast majority of dudes coming from outside the #menswear bubble--even if it is a solid deal given the product you receive.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    I rarely need to wear black dress shoes, so here is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Giorgio-Bruti...ini&th=1&psc=1

$45 gets you decent looking kid skin, leather soles, light weight, and a nice silhouette. The sole edges get beat up easily, but nothing a black sharpie can't handle! I wore these to a black tie event and they looked really nice after applying some black kiwi. They won't last forever, but at 2-3 wears a year and $45 who cares?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Seen these on sale in the $70-80 range before.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=255911012