Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent Inexpensive Black Dress Shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Decent Inexpensive Black Dress Shoes

I've got a gig coming up where I need a pair of black dress shoes. I've got a pair of Allen Edmonds cap toes (I bought used and nobody has ever been able to ID), but they are pretty beat up and honestly a little small. Not real picky about cap toes or wingtips. Don't like monk straps. Banana Republic Has nice looking wingtips at the right price (I think when their shoes are under 100 bucks, they are a decent value), but they are out of my size in black (13). Is it possible to get a decent pair of shoes around 100 bucks, or am I just totally nuts? I know I'm not getting a life time recraftable thing here, but most of the time, I dress fairly casual, and dress shoes aren't a real high priority for me.
    Last edited by bassopotamus; February 11th, 2018 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I might get some shade for suggesting something super cheap, but my black oxfords are from Aldo. Something like this: https://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/m.../p/53679926-97

Given how rarely I wear them, it really doesn't make sense to shell out for anything of high (or even decent?) quality for black dress shoes. These have handled my formal weddings and interviews for the last few years and look good. I think they were like $60 at DSW.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)
    Consider stretching that budget a little and Nordstrom Rack has some AE on sale for $190:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...le?color=BLACK

But for the price point you're looking at, I've gotten plenty of shoes on sale that I enjoyed and lasted long enough, including shoes from Kenneth Cole, Florsheim, and Johnston Murphy.

Or save $$ and look at these Aldos for only $48:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...rd?color=BLACK

Or these Kenneth Cole Reaction for $79:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...by?color=BLACK

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Thanks guys. I saw the Aldo's and Kenneth Coles and was sort of curious about experiences with them

And I am pondering the AEs from the rack, but for something that might get worn 8 times a year, I'm not sure I want to shell out that much. Bud I'm pondering

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Joseph Abboud line from Men's Wearhouse / Moore's.

Most of their other shoe lines are terrible -- stay away from Stacy Adams -- but the various Abboud products are MW's attempt to move a little more upmarket.

Bought a pair for the 2013-2014 winter season for $90CAD on sale. Wear them once or twice a week and they still look great. Leather uppers and lining, rubber outer sole.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    If you can stretch your budget to around $150, AE has a number of black shoes in size 13 on their Shoebank, including the one I linked to below. I not only find sub-$100 shoes generally less stylish and lower quality, but less comfortable as well. Do your feet a favour, even if only for 8 times a year. At that rate a pair of AEs may be the last pair of black shoes you ever need to buy.

http://www.aeshoebank.com/FactorySec...DIM=D&SIZE=130

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    351 Post(s)
    The DSWAshton Grey line of shoes would be perfect for this. I have had a few for several years. They are nice looking and hold up pretty well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
    I might get some shade for suggesting something super cheap, but my black oxfords are from Aldo. Something like this: https://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/m.../p/53679926-97

Given how rarely I wear them, it really doesn't make sense to shell out for anything of high (or even decent?) quality for black dress shoes. These have handled my formal weddings and interviews for the last few years and look good. I think they were like $60 at DSW.
    I did something similar for my black dress shoes. I wear them only a few times per year for formal social events (weddings, funerals, etc.) so I went super-cheap and bought a pair of Stacy Adams cap toes from Nordstrom Rack. They have a nice shape and look good from a distance, LOL. It's ironic in a way that the most formal events I go to are the ones where people are least likely to notice my shoes. The venues are generally poorly lit and we aren't hanging out in a way that I'm going to be putting my feet up or sitting in a way that people would see my shoes.

I'd much rather save the money I'd spend on black dress shoes and buy another pair of brown boots...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Get your AEs recrafted and stretch them slightly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Check eBay. I have purchased a few AE’s from there at or around $100. Look for the ones that allow you to offer a price. Dabondo is a seller that generally accepts around 60% of the list price.