Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: When to sell a watch?

  1. #31
    Dappered Veteran Vicious49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    I’ve already found the older bracelet not as comfy as the new one so I’ve removed it and put the explorer on a grey nato for now. The issue for me was that I couldn’t get the older bracelet properly centered so the inside of the clasp was bothering me.



    The white dial does really pop on the nato and it wears very light. I am considering getting a black rubber Everest strap for it at some point in the near future. Unfortunately those things run about $225.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    @DocDave cmon. Iíve seen that garmin pop up regularly on here.

    But I feel that. Iíve basically moved to a 3-4 rotation. Would add more but itís all the checkbook allows for now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I do this thing where I turn all of my watches upside down (not face down) in the watch box. when I wear it, I put it back correctly. Kind of like hanging your hangers backwards. It helps you really see what you dont wear.
    Thanks. I was thinking of parting with a few lower-end watches, and this process is helping. I do this with shirts already.

    That IWC Portuguese chronograph is beautiful, but the chopped 12 and 6 would drive me crazy.

  4. #34
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    If you haven't worn them in months, could you say that you are not getting your money's worth?

  5. #35
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,804
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    993 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I’ve already found the older bracelet not as comfy as the new one so I’ve removed it and put the explorer on a grey nato for now. The issue for me was that I couldn’t get the older bracelet properly centered so the inside of the clasp was bothering me.



    The white dial does really pop on the nato and it wears very light. I am considering getting a black rubber Everest strap for it at some point in the near future. Unfortunately those things run about $225.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice to see the Explorer II on a different strap. I've kept mine on the OEM bracelet since purchasing the watch. Funny enough today I was just thinking that the bracelet wasn't that comfortable and maybe I could put the watch on a different strap. Hadn't thought of a NATO though. I wear the watch with a suit at times and I wonder how the NATO would stack up. Mind you while I work in a formal environment, I don't think anyone would notice one way or another.

    Will be good see/read how you notice the differences between the Explorer and the Sub. I'll be curious to know if you find yourself wearing one watch in different circumstances compared to the other.

  6. #36
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    You could always try perlon.

    Not my photo:


  7. #37
    Dappered Veteran Vicious49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Will be good see/read how you notice the differences between the Explorer and the Sub. I'll be curious to know if you find yourself wearing one watch in different circumstances compared to the other.
    The Sub (and the newer Rolexes with the maxi cases) is designed to be used with that bracelet. I think the wider lugs are even more apparent when you put it on a different strap. Whereas the bracelet is integrated in to the entire design aesthetic. Plus I don't know why anyone would not want to wear that bracelet (besides weight concerns).

    Since the Sub will always be on the bracelet, I'm guessing it will be my work business casual Mon-Thurs watch, With the Polar being on NATO or rubber, it will probably be my more casual watch for Fri-Sun (along with my Sinn 103). That's the plan anyways. I'll let you know if that holds true over time.

    What year is your polar? Mine is a P serial so about 2000-2001. I wanted one from that time frame since I was looking for the lug holes and solid end links. From what I've read, that combo was only available for about a 3 year span.

  8. #38
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,804
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quoted
    993 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    What year is your polar? Mine is a P serial so about 2000-2001. I wanted one from that time frame since I was looking for the lug holes and solid end links. From what I've read, that combo was only available for about a 3 year span.
    1991. I wanted an Explorer where the hour markers had a bit of patina going for it. The watch has aged nicely while I've owned it. I wear the watch frequently and just the bit of time out in the sun, the markers are continuing to change.

    That's good to know about the Sub. I wasn't aware of the design with the bracelet. I may try to put a NATO on my Explorer just to see if I like it or not.

    @carlitos I never considered perlon. Thanks for the tip.

  9. #39
    Dappered Veteran Vicious49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    So I put the Polar back on the bracelet as I feel that's where it looks best. I got used to the bracelet and it feels more comfortable now but still not as much as the newer bracelet with the Glidelock. The Polar does wear lighter than the SubC since the bracelet isn't as solid.

    I find myself reaching more for the polar when I'm wearing dress shirts as it slides under the cuffs easier. I reach for the Sub more when I'm wearing polos.

  10. #40
    Dappered Veteran Vicious49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3,463
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    459 Post(s)
    Since DocDave was asking about my newest acquisition which I have not yet posted pics of . . .




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •