Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: When to sell a watch?

  1. #1
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,943
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1050 Post(s)

    When to sell a watch?

    So in one of the other threads I asked about knowing what watch to wear. This is a little different though.

    Say you now know/realize out of your 10 (or 20 or 30) collection of watches you only wear 2 - 3 regularly. Others might not see wrist time for months. If that. So how do you make the decision to sell the watch? And what if you aren't going to get anywhere near what you paid for the watch. In that case do you just hold on to the watch thinking you'll eventually wear it again? Or sell the watch at a huge loss knowing that someone else might get some better use out it?

    I've only sold one watch that I found I wasn't wearing. But as I look through my watch collection I see some watches in there that just aren't getting worn. So I'm wondering if it's time to pare down the herd, or just live with it. Curious to know what others do/think.

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member Rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)
    If I'm not wearing it, and I can get some money for it, I'll sell it. Now, I've yet to spend over $100 for a watch, so I have relatively little to lose if I don't recoup my costs. Luckily, all my flips have turned a profit so far. I have a fun money spreadsheet, and if I can add more black ink to it, I will.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    If it has no sentimental value and I dont wear it, I will sell it. As long as I can get more than $30 from it, I will sell it regardless of what I paid. I do this thing where I turn all of my watches upside down (not face down) in the watch box. when I wear it, I put it back correctly. Kind of like hanging your hangers backwards. It helps you really see what you dont wear. I will also put a watch that I am unsure about in my desk drawer. If I want to wear it enough to go get it, I will keep it a while longer. If it sits in there for a while then I will sell it. I have several on the chopping block right now actually.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I've never sold a watch, and honestly don't have anything that is valuable enough to bother with selling any way (I love my Orient Mako, but let's be real, if I wanted to sell it, nobody is going to give me enough for a well loved mako to justify boxing it up and driving to the post office for me).

    I have pondered this question with guitars and basses (it comes up alot on those forums), and frankly the pricing on instruments (and the hoarding and flipping) is similar to watches. Generally it boils down to
    1. How bad do I need the money? Is this to make rent, free up cash to buy something else, or just because it would be cool to have more cash (descending order of reasonableness to sell)
    2. What is the likelihood that I might change my mind and want this later? For example, I have 8 basses, currently gig 2 of them. My #1 sat unplayed for a couple years, and one day I just picked it back up and it spoke to me. Thing is, I didn't hate it, it just wasn't my favorite. Same deal with watches. If you don't hate it, there is the possibility that you'll be interested in it again later.
    3. How hard is this to replace? I got into some financial trouble in grad school and had to sell a few instruments. The ones on the chopping block ended up being the ones that had held most of their value relative to their purchase price AND I could easily replace with the same model or something similar down the road. I have one semi custom out of production guitar, one vintage guitar scored at a steal, and a bass with sentimental value, that are basically irreplaceable. A common production instrument (watch)? No big deal.

    Anyway, that's how I think about stuff like this.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    910 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    If it has no sentimental value and I dont wear it, I will sell it. As long as I can get more than $30 from it, I will sell it regardless of what I paid. I do this thing where I turn all of my watches upside down (not face down) in the watch box. when I wear it, I put it back correctly. Kind of like hanging your hangers backwards. It helps you really see what you dont wear. I will also put a watch that I am unsure about in my desk drawer. If I want to wear it enough to go get it, I will keep it a while longer. If it sits in there for a while then I will sell it. I have several on the chopping block right now actually.
    A good way to do it, although I do admit that I go on wearing binges. I'll go without wearing a watch for a month or two, but then switch over to it and wear it a majority of the time (taking into account appropriate conditions to do so) for a couple weeks. I think this method would work for me so long as the time horizon was long enough.

    At this point, I've never sold one of my watches, only passed them along to friends/family. My brother has enjoyed some nice time pieces that, while I liked them, I just found that I never chose to wear them and that they were duplicative of other watches in my collection. However, I am at the point that I may start looking to resell some pieces vs. gifting along, given that the watches that may be exiting have gone up in relative value a bit.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    876 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    A good way to do it, although I do admit that I go on wearing binges. I'll go without wearing a watch for a month or two, but then switch over to it and wear it a majority of the time (taking into account appropriate conditions to do so) for a couple weeks. I think this method would work for me so long as the time horizon was long enough.

    At this point, I've never sold one of my watches, only passed them along to friends/family. My brother has enjoyed some nice time pieces that, while I liked them, I just found that I never chose to wear them and that they were duplicative of other watches in my collection. However, I am at the point that I may start looking to resell some pieces vs. gifting along, given that the watches that may be exiting have gone up in relative value a bit.
    I go 6 months at least. Some of my watches are seasonal. I have a bright blue and a bright orange diver that I only wear in the spring/summer...but I love them then. Zero wear other times.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Itís too small for my wrist- purchased before I understood that- sell.

    I just donít like it anymore- sell.

    I bought it and thought it looked good online but hate it in person- sell.

    The third one has already happened twice. The first one Iím still trying to complete about 4. (Shameless plug)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member thiswasandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Just wear 2 on each wrist at a time, crisis averted.

  9. #9
    Dappered Veteran Vicious49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    3,488
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    If I'm not wearing the watch much (besides something like a dress watch which may only get worn a few times a year when appropriate) that means I'm no longer feeling it. That means it's time to sell.

    Also if I find a new watch I really want, I'll purchase it and see if it overtakes a watch or watches from my existing collection. If it does, then it's time to sell. This was the case with my IWC Mark XVIII. I loved it but it wasn't seeing as much time as my Sub.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,943
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1050 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeyers View Post
    I bought it and thought it looked good online but hate it in person- sell.
    Yeah, I'm concerned about this. I have my eye on a watch right now but I'm concerned about shelling out the $$ for it in case I get it home and I don't like how it looks in person. I'd feel better if I could at least see the watch locally in person before shelling out the cake to purchase it online.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •