Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Oldest Clothes in Your Daily Rotation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Johnston & Murphy saddle shoes I bought around 1988. Great shoes--all leather and fully lined. They have a great patina you can't get any other way than with age.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    503 Post(s)
    Between the hobby that is thrifting and this site's suggestions on new things to buy, i am constantly having to get rid of stuff i already like to get anything new. I live in an apartment in Boston that isn't very big, so I don't have a lot of room.

I have turned all my clothes over a couple times in the last year or two trying to make sacrifices for other better things.

Due to this, there is not a lot of deadweight in my wardrobe, nor old clothes.

Last time I had too many shirts, it pulled down my closet all over the floor. Don't want a repeat of that one haha

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I have a cashmere crew neck sweater in a greenish grey that I purchased while working at Emporio Armani in 1998 or 1999. It has withstood the tests of time, and I actually wore it yesterday. The sleeve cuffs are a bit stretched, but otherwise it's in great shape.

My father is now 70, and works in a casual office. However starting in the late 1960's he was a suit and tie guy up until he sold his business in the late 90's. Most of his suits and shirts and ties are very outdated and way too big for me (in fact, I recently helped him clear much of that stuff out to be donated.) However, his shoes are classic and in fantastic shape. He has given me 4 or 5 pairs of Aldens, and some other random names (Eggers & Silk, John Spencer, Sacchi) and I wear them all regularly.
    ďHe was a bold man that first ate an oyster.Ē
    ― Jonathan Swift

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    My dad picked up a US Navy peacoat in the 70s that I claimed when I left for college. We did some research and determined the coat was manufactured around 1965, before they switched to Melton wool. The shell is bombproof and crazy warm, but the lining has several tears that I have had to stitch up. It's just about the perfect casual winter coat, and I expect it will hold up for the next several decades.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    448 Post(s)
    I have a car coat from Banana Republic that is about 15 years old. Itís about a half size larger than I wish, but still gets worn. Not as often as it used to, though.

I also have a pair of athletic pants from probably 12 or so years ago that I still wear as pajamas, but those donít get worn outside the house. Iíve probably also got some jeans that are about 10 years old, but I only wear those as work jeans now.

Most of my clothes were purchased in the last three years, as Iíve rotated through styles and fits to figure out what I prefer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Sorel Caribou winter boots I bought in 1990. I use them a few times every year in the winter. They're still in great shape and I hope to use them for many years going forward.

I have two pair of Levis 501 shrink to fit jeans I bought raw about a dozen years ago. I wear them a lot every summer and don't play any weird denim games - just toss them in the wash like any other clothes. They have faded to a very light, soft, perfect condition. Since they are about as old as my oldest daughter, they truly are "dad" jeans the way they were meant to be...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Virtually nothing older than 2 years. I realized then that my clothes and shoes didn't fit (mostly too big), didn't look good, or were no longer a style I wanted. I have been upgrading my wardrobe ever since.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Your Oldest Clothes in Your Daily Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Raakish View Post
    Virtually nothing older than 2 years. I realized then that my clothes and shoes didn't fit (mostly too big), didn't look good, or were no longer a style I wanted. I have been upgrading my wardrobe ever since.
    Same boat. 2-3 years max for regular rotation items. I got a few nostalgic items maybe about 10-12 years old. But they are not in the regular rotation. Worn only a few times a year these days.

This said. The clothes I buy now will probably be worn for much longer than my older stuff circa pre-2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    The oldest items of clothing that I wear in daily rotation that I purchased new are several pairs of AG trousers.

The oldest item of clothing that I did not purchase new are some Bankers Trust ties that I inherited from my grandfather. He worked for them from the Great Depression until the late 1970s/early 1980s when he retired, only pausing to serve in the US Army during WWII. I'm not sure how old it is, but he received them before he retired.

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    I have a pair of wool Clarkís socks that Iíve had since 2008. Non-daily rotation item would be my Redwings from 2007, but I rarely wear them.