Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest Clothes in Your Daily Rotation

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)

Your Oldest Clothes in Your Daily Rotation

What and how old is your oldest clothing you still wear regularly?

My oldest are 4 years, which include trousers, shirts, and sport coats.

They're my first generation clothing after I did my major wardrobe transformation. I've been rocking the same style and size so they're staying until they fall apart. Older stuff were either ill-fitting or didn't fit my style anymore so they're gone.

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1770 Post(s)
    I have a Stormy Kromer cap that my dad got me like... ten years ago. Still wear it regularly in winter.

Chippewa boots that I got in 2011-2012.

J.Crew tweed herringbone sport coat from about the same time period. For reference as to quality/longevity, I've long since had to throw away a Banana Republic sport coat and suit that I bought around the same time because they started to fall apart.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    Interesting inquiry. Probably some of my ties are 5-7 years old. Most of my daily wear trousers, suits, dress shirts, and jackets are within the past few years as I simultaneously lost some weight, got interested in dressing well, and had the financial resources to do so. I'm sure I have still a suit from 5-7 years ago but it isn't worn frequently.

I tend to add discard one item if i am adding something new to my wardrobe so if something has minimal use I donate it or trash it and move on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    I have a wool Fraser tartan tie, a couple cashmere sweaters, and some wool Pendleton shirts that belonged to my grandpa. The sweaters are I. Magnin house brand and the Oakland store shuttered in 1995 so they're at least 23 years old. I also have a cashmere sports coat from him that I can't bear to goodwill even though it's about 4 sizes too big. Grandpa was a snappy dude.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    918 Post(s)
    Ties I bet I have a few that are 7-8 years ago that I still wear. Outside of that, I still have a tshirt or two from college and grad school that get used (dated back to 2002-03 range), although they're paper thin and used for home use vs. anywhere I need to be presentable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I have 2 sweaters from grad school (also 2002-2003) that are still in great shape and get semi-regular wear in the winter.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    250 Post(s)
    I have at least two suits that are over ten years old--maybe even 15 years old--even though they are not modern fit and cut, I still wear them once every two to three weeks, in the rotation with my other suits. Granted, there was a time I didn't wear them because I was a little too fat to fit into them. That may have been five years worth of time.

Also, late last year I retired Johnston Murphy shoes that I purchased in early late 1998/early 1999. I wore them at least once a week for all that time. Of course I had them re-soled a few times.

I have several dress shirts from PF that are at least five years old. Maybe six.

I have a black cashmere sport coat that, up until I ordered a new one just last week, was my go-to weekend sport coat that I purchased in about 2000.

That stuff old enough for you?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    892 Post(s)
    I have some Hugo Boss dress shoes from 2011 that I still wear. I have a track jacket from 2004 that I don't wear but have fond memories of wearing. Everything else changed when I found Dappered.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Does vintage count?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)
    I'm interested mostly in how long you (or your family) have owned it.