Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groom Shoe's for a Wedding - Need Ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Groom Shoe's for a Wedding - Need Ideas?

Hello there. I have a wedding in around 3 months time and unfortunately it's my own this time, so I don't really want to be lending my mates clobber like usual. We're not worried about straying from the traditional and I didn't just want to be dressed in a boring suit. I've actually managed to find a really nice Ted Baker light blue suit that we both really love and it fits like a dream, so I'm now looking for the right shoes to partner the suit. I've shared a picture of the suit so that you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Now, whilst I love the footwear in this photo, it's not really going to be suitable for the big day. Does anyone have a recommendation on style of shoe and or the colour that would best compliment the suit? I think I know which tie I'm going for but that may also depend on the shoes. I've kind of got a few different ties I like so I'm not too worried, but I just can't find any shoes that stand out. I've paid around 600 pounds for the suit so far, so it's not too bad really. Looking at around the 100 pounds mark for the shoes, but I'm a little bit flexible. Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Something from Loake or Herring might fit the bill:

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2607.php
    https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...6&shoeid=12612
    https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...=6&shoeid=4921

I'm thinking medium brown as opposed to tan, and oxblood is probably too dark for the suit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Walnut monk straps anyone?

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2142 Post(s)
    This suit is one of the rare suits that seems to demand to be worn with a walnut shoe... depending on your climate/conditions/venue I would opt for something like a sleek loafer, a plain toed blucher, or a wingtip boot. The challenge will be finding something that looks great with this suit but is also wearable afterward, so you probably don't want to go too far outside your comfort zone in terms of style.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)
    I agree with the walnut suggestion. What is the style of the rest of the wedding? In a more neutral fabric, a three piece with peak lapels would be very formal and demand cap-toe oxfords, but I don't think that's the right choice. I would base your shoes on the formality of the bride's dress and whether you're trying to accentuate or downplay the somewhat whimsical nature of the suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    I think that a darker shoe would also work, but it is a good suit to wear walnut with. I suggest wingtips.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I’m not convinced that more than 15% of the people would know if your shoes are at the correct level of formality. That’s just my opinion.

Most people look at your shoes-
    are they “dress shoes”?
    Are they in good condition?

If those two check the boxes, then 80% of people will likely not think twice.

Now that’s not necessarily saying you shouldn’t land it correctly for yourself and the other ____%.

If it were me, I would steer hard away from black and probably anything extremely dark. I don’t like a merlot or a dark brown here.

For whatever reason, a true mid brown through walnut jumps out without question.
    And if it were me again- i would go with a double monk. It just screams for that level of casual nature. While most people will think it’s dressy, you’ll feel casual like the sneaker in the picture.

The idea of a wingtip or something likewise- doesn’t fit my eye. Just me though. I’d want a cap or something simple like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    I agree with most of the above that walnut would be a great color. Monk strap would look sharp, I think. If you want more formal, try a whole cut cap toe maybe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I agree with the walnut suggestion, but as you're in the UK, I also agree to get a Loake shoe, not an Allen Edmonds. Loake calls its walnut shoes "tan." I vote for the Loake Buckingham in tan. Here it is: http://www.loake.co.uk/buckingham.html.

It's going to be fine in brown, too, but I wouldn't get it in either dark brown or black with that suit.

And, really, whenever tan/walnut is minimally acceptable, it is automatically the best option, just because it's so much more attractive than any other shoe color.

One word of acknowledgement: the Buckingham is way over your suggested budget. But you can usually get Loake shoes on sale around London. For example, I got my Chatsworth in Debenham's on Oxford Street for 133 pounds last summer. I believe that there are a bunch of small shoe retailers around the City that also have sales on Loake shoes. You'll have to get lucky to find the Buckingham, as it's one of the more popular styles (it's basically the Loake equivalent of the Allen Edmonds McAllister), but you might find something a nice tan shoe on a good sale. Try Jones or somewhere like that, too. And keep an eye on the online retailers - such as Herring and Pediwear - for a while.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Loake in tan. Classic cap oxford/balmoral but the color and quality will jump.

I mean cmon it’s your wedding. Treat yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk